Websites that humanely ship hermit crabs?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Does anyone know of people or websites that humanely ship hermit crabs? I can't imagine it's bad to do humane overnight shipping, especially since that's how they get to the pet store. (though idk about "humane" or "overnight" in that case). All I can get where I live are Caribbeans and it would be nice to get different types
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

Xenocrab

Re: Websites that humanely ship hermit crabs?

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Adopt, don't shop!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Xenocrab on Thu May 23, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 23, 2019 5:09 pm

Agree with Xeno. Most of us recommend adopting rather than shopping.
Where do you live? Do you currently have crabs?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 23, 2019 6:01 pm

I purchased my strawberries online only after making sure I was able to pick them up rather than ship them. I drove like 5-6 hours, central Pennsylvania to almost Richmond, Virginia for them. They tried to assure me they are well packaged and will deliver safely the next day. I still insisted on personally picking them up.

We I met them they had the crabs in plastic containers with holes in the lids for air. They had the lids taped on secure so they wouldn't accidentally open. Inside each container they had 3 crabs and the inside was packed with shredded papers so they wouldn't bounce around. They also had several hand warmers in the box as well.

Upon receiving these guys I transferred them into a 10 gallon travel tank we use for rescues for the ride home. Out of the six one died within two weeks of being home. The rest have been active, healthy and molted 2-3 times since last July.

Shipping of crabs is only advised as a very last resort. Like someone is going to "throw them out" or other life or death situation for the crabs.

The biggest issue is not know how they are handled by the shipping company. They may just throw the box. Also there is no guarantee on the temperatures during transport. In the summer a the temperatures can really vary especially the cargo area where it get get well above 100 or still dip into the 40's.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 23, 2019 8:54 pm

I've shipped hermits to others, and have also recieved reptiles. If you are buying it in a store, it's been shipped in some way.

The problem is that hermits aren't treated very well, as even the stores treat them as throw away pets. They should only be shipped overnight which is very pricey, but many places will ship the cheapest option instead, which will take a few days. (Some stores will do several days shipping with any aquatics, insects and reptiles because they can get away with it, but again, it's not usually humane.) There should be better regulations and the stores selling live animals should be held to a higher standard, but for now it's pretty much a free for all.

Hermits are also more sensitive (much more like marine animals) and have a much narrower temperature and stress threshold than fish, reptiles and insects. Damage done during shipping can also take until the next molt to really become obvious, or kill them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Last edited by Xenocrab on Thu May 23, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri May 24, 2019 11:45 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:56 pm
Shipping animals is horrendous to me. Maybe it's just me, but animals are not meant to be shipped at all, in any way. Period. Animals and shipping = wrong. Adopt, don't shop
But you guys bought strawberries not that long ago?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Xenocrab wrote:Shipping animals is horrendous to me. Maybe it's just me, but animals are not meant to be shipped at all, in any way. Period. Animals and shipping = wrong. Adopt, don't shop

Y’all ordered strawberries that came through the mail. They didn’t bring those over humanely.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, period. Nothing is cruelty free. From the migrant laborers farming in extreme conditions for pennies on the dollar to pet stores to the clothes you purchase at a department store. Unless you are living a 100% home grown farm to table shear your own sheep and spin your own yarn kindof life you are contributing to the harm of someone or some creature somewhere on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Fri May 24, 2019 4:47 pm

curlysister wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:09 pm
Agree with Xeno. Most of us recommend adopting rather than shopping.
Where do you live? Do you currently have crabs?
I live in Florida and hermit crabs aren’t real popular in my area. I doubt I’d be able to adopt crabs from anyone unless it’s a crazy drive that my parents wouldn’t let happen, even if I could drive. If I want hermit crabs I think buying them is my only option. Pet Bazaar is a store that knows and cares what they’re doing with their crabs so I go there. And yes I have 6 crabs :Ꭰ

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Are Carribean's the same as PP's?? If so, why would you want anything else?? LOL!!
How big of a tank do you have?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Fri May 24, 2019 9:26 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 pm
Are Carribean's the same as PP's?? If so, why would you want anything else?? LOL!!
How big of a tank do you have?
I have a 50 gallon tank. I like Caribbeans and I care more about the actual crab than what it looks like, I just doubt I’ll ever find a different type as long as I’m in Florida and I like trying new things

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri May 24, 2019 9:37 pm

Ah, okay. I like my two PP's.

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:54 pm

I would love an E or a strawberry but nothing like that lives around me either and I’m on the shore so I completely understand what finalXfantasy is saying.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think when ppl ask a question they would rather just an answer than to be bombarded with others opinions. Just my two cents.
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:27 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:53 pm
Y’all ordered strawberries that came through the mail. They didn’t bring those over humanely.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, period. Nothing is cruelty free. From the migrant laborers farming in extreme conditions for pennies on the dollar to pet stores to the clothes you purchase at a department store. Unless you are living a 100% home grown farm to table shear your own sheep and spin your own yarn kindof life you are contributing to the harm of someone or some creature somewhere on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a good dialogue to be having. Unfortunately soilentgringa makes a very good point about capitalism, particularly in this day and time. I think a lot of us were really surprised to see how poor the care for crabs is and how much misinformation is out there about their care once we found our way to the HCA.

So then here we are left with this new passion (complete an utter obsession which was renewed in full force right when it was finally settling down after I installed a WYZE cam so I could see who really is coming out at night and who is not) that pulls us in a couple of different directions:

1. I love crabs they are so kool! I want the biggest aquarium I can find/afford/fit in my room and I want to fill it with as many crabs as I can and still have enough space for them to live comfortable.

2. The hermit crab trade is horrible, they are taken from there natural habitat and shipped to the pet sores where their care is at best uniformed and not at all ideal and at worse just horrible and grossly inadequate.

3. There currently are no hermit crabs that are being widely breeded and raised humanely in captivity.

4. Adoption is by far the best choice for the crabs, but may be difficult in some places and crab availability may be inconsistent.

I find myself very torn when I go into the local pet sore (which is an hour away) and I see how awful that crabitat is with no lid, no gauges 1 dish that has a sponge and a bunch of substrate that had dried up most of the water and see crabs (one of whom had died). Part of me wants to "rescue them" and another part of me knows that I will just be supporting the hermit crab trade and their substandard care and that they will order more and I can't save them all.

I would love to be able to find crabs in this area in range where I could drive to adopt them once I finish setting up my 75 gal, but I have a feeling it's going to come down to trying to find them in a place where they are at least cared for in a halfway decent manner vs the horrible conditions at that one particular pet chain store.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Crabby in NJ wrote:I would love an E or a strawberry but nothing like that lives around me either and I’m on the shore so I completely understand what finalXfantasy is saying.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think when ppl ask a question they would rather just an answer than to be bombarded with others opinions. Just my two cents.
For the most part this has remained a civil sharing of opinions. I love seeing that, I think it is great and shows the care with which we speak to one another, and conveys respect. It’s good to see. But mostly I agree with @Crabby in NJ. It doesn’t really answer then question other than we all agree that shipping is not ideal if it can be helped. I love all my crabbies- PPS and exotics, from tiny to jumbo. But I also live in a rural area with very few pet stores and can see why people will order the crabs. If they’re going to be snatched off the beach at least we can give them a better home than so many others would. There is nothing wrong with wanting more than one breed, they’re all really cool and different. Anyway, I’m sure I didn’t add anything new just now, but I wanted to say a little something anyway. Image

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!