Recommendations from other groups?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

RiNiKy506

Recommendations from other groups?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:55 pm

What a great topic! I have HCA to thank for still having our four original crabs, this will always be my home! I like how this site really doesn’t criticize anyone, even if you’re doing something that not everyone agrees with, we’re more open here. They will help you, not judge you. I agree with each and every one of you that has replied. There are topics that are a little more controversial than others, ie: handling crabs. I’ve never seen anyone shunned for handling their crabs here, and I like that. I do believe that they are your crabs, and like kids, different things work for different people. To a point of course, common sense goes a long way! Lol! I do occasionally handle mine, mainly for well checks after molting. The dry sand mixing thing... I have played with a bit. I have found it does work pretty well. I do mix the ee as it’s supposed to be, not quite a whole gallon and when mixed with dry play sand it does come out pretty good, I still do add a little water to that though. I think it helps for the long run, to help prevent flooding. My 55 gal seemed to turn out perfectly, yet my 120 may need to be misted, the top layer is really dry. I’m trying to give it a bit since it’s such a new setup, time will tell. One thing about all the groups that has really gotten to me is, we’re all here for the same thing. How can we not all work together!? Every reply here has my same thoughts. I think other groups you couldn’t even begin to speak your mind like this, another reason this place is my home. I do like other groups and I like to see others pictures and stuff but I do stay here more often. I really need to be more active, I’ve been very quiet lately. <3

Topic author
Kydra

Re: Recommendations from other groups?

Post by Kydra » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:30 pm

crabby33 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 pm
Also in LHCOS, you aren’t allowed to delete your own comments if you say something you shouldn’t or make a mistake. They claim people can benefit from the discussion.
Yeah, that would have gotten me a warning a few months ago or so! Thankfully I was able to vent and then just delete that post as it wasn't going to lead to any constructive dialogue. People are emotional and sometimes when we see certain things/posts we respond in a more reactionary way in that moment so, while I'm typically level-headed, I do remember posting something that I probably should have taken a breath on prior to typing away though the option to delete it was beneficial to myself and the community.

There could be some middle ground where your post will temporarily edit/delete until a mod/admin reviews and decides if the members reasoning for an edit or delete is sound. Otherwise, for a comment made in the moment or a simple mistake on advice, whatever the case may be, I don't see how that would be beneficial to the community especially if that comment presents as demeaning or a mistake where possible bad advice is spread.

Was going to say that we are all adults here, but do realize that is not the case lol. Which is something to keep in mind while posting.

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:50 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:55 pm
What a great topic! I have HCA to thank for still having our four original crabs, this will always be my home! I like how this site really doesn’t criticize anyone, even if you’re doing something that not everyone agrees with, we’re more open here. They will help you, not judge you. I agree with each and every one of you that has replied. There are topics that are a little more controversial than others, ie: handling crabs. I’ve never seen anyone shunned for handling their crabs here, and I like that. I do believe that they are your crabs, and like kids, different things work for different people. To a point of course, common sense goes a long way! Lol! I do occasionally handle mine, mainly for well checks after molting. The dry sand mixing thing... I have played with a bit. I have found it does work pretty well. I do mix the ee as it’s supposed to be, not quite a whole gallon and when mixed with dry play sand it does come out pretty good, I still do add a little water to that though. I think it helps for the long run, to help prevent flooding. My 55 gal seemed to turn out perfectly, yet my 120 may need to be misted, the top layer is really dry. I’m trying to give it a bit since it’s such a new setup, time will tell. One thing about all the groups that has really gotten to me is, we’re all here for the same thing. How can we not all work together!? Every reply here has my same thoughts. I think other groups you couldn’t even begin to speak your mind like this, another reason this place is my home. I do like other groups and I like to see others pictures and stuff but I do stay here more often. I really need to be more active, I’ve been very quiet lately. <3
Thanks and I am grateful as well to the HCA that my two original guys from their boardwalk mesh cage death trap have successfully had their first molt and are doing well. When I first purchased them there was so much conflicting information on the internet until I found the HCA care guides. And, no, I don't follow every single thing down to a science, but was able quickly correct what I could while reading the care guides along with the posts here and experiences from others with what I had to work with at that time which helped tremendously.

It is definitely more open here (although I am only a member here), but members are definitely open to all different methods of care as long as we are using the information we have on hand and, more importantly, as you wrote... just some common sense! Appreciate sharing your experiences and what you've concluded from them RE dry sand as I was originally posting this after a few bacterial blooms and was questioning this.

I believe that I probably wrote this in another reply, but again... you would think that common sense would rule here. All groups, I truly hope, are looking to provide the best information possible and there really should be no tension or riffs between any of the groups with all working together. Just makes sense. And you are probably correct that I'm not sure I would have been able to post this topic in another group. I am glad that the HCA was supportive of me with my original post as far as bringing in members experiences and any conflicting advice from other groups.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:27 pm

I am a strong believer that there are multiple ways to do things correctly with caring for hermits. Having an open mind with care techniques is always a plus. If you look at our safe food list and the one posted at CSJ they both originated from one original source from years ago. Over time both groups did their own research and changed things to make them their own. t is hard to research every aspect of everything to figure out what is best. What I do easily may be difficult for others and vise versa. Having several safe options for everything would be great. Having the time to implement things like that would take years. I would guess that between the HCA and LHCOS there may be maybe 20 people, at most that research or work on updating care sheets and guides when time allows. I would honestly love to see all groups try to work together and come up with a more standardized care guide that is universal shared between the groups. It would require a ton of texts, emails, discussions and research on everything. I really think it would benefit people randomly searching hermit crab care for the first time. It could also help stores if they would want to research better in store care and to promote proper better care. That's just my general personal thoughts, not anyone else.

With life in general I have found that some people just don't have common sense anymore! I notice that a lot at work, It is downright scary at times when you see something completely unsafe and wonder how that person has managed to live past 30! LOL! I will admit I do stupid things at times, riding a dirt bike at night through the woods comes to mind!

The biggest and hardest thing to remember on every group where you interact with other people is that everyone was new at some point. I highly doubt anyone had perfect tanks from day one. I always hate to see a new member post pictures and ask one question only to have everyone jump on them because everything is wrong with their set up. This needs to be that, or you should change this and do that. I understand everyone wants to help, but it can make people feel unwelcome, make them defensive or even consider the group mean and leave. I try my best to just answer their specific questions on why this is better than that and how to change it for the better. Eventually the more they stick around and browse the more questions they will have and the more research they will do on their own, even without posting. I lurked these forums for a few months just reading stuff before becoming a member. We all just want to try and inform and help as many people as we can, all groups included, we all just go about it in slightly different ways.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities