Food Dehydrator?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Food Dehydrator?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good food dehydrator. One that is $70 or under would helpful. I'd like to dehydrate foods for my crabs, but moreso for my tortoise. She is supposed to eat leafy greens, but they are her least favorite food. I was hoping I could turn greens like escarole, endive, dandelion leaves, etc into a powder. Then I could sprinkle the powders on her pellets. The pellets really aren't the best thing for her, but I use them to flavor her greens so she will eat them. My big crab also likes spinach and arugula, and I'd like to try dehydrating them too.
Thanks!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Food Dehydrator?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:55 pm

I use a secondhand Nesco inherited from my grandmother. I was even able to find extra trays locally on FB classifieds for a few bucks! Can run it with 10 trays, that thing is a beast.

Definafely check around for used ones! People bought them back in the 90s because it was a huge health rage, and then never used them. Those are a lot sturdier than the newer models.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:12 pm

Yep, I'm with wodesorel on this with the dehydrator. Check the classified. We also scored a Nesco on Craig's List last year that came with four additional trays for $40! It still had the instructions too!

I would check all the sales apps, marketplaces, and even thrift stores in your travels.

Making powders is pretty easy, puree, dehydrate, grind. It's A LOT cheaper than buying them! A container of organic blueberries at Aldi's was around $4. I powdered the entire container and got two 2x3 packets. They sell at some Etsy shops for $8!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:30 am

Thank you both! I'll keep my eye out for a Nesco. I'm always up for buying used and getting a good deal. Since I'm moving, I'll actually have some counter space to put a dehydrator on. Where I live now there's hardly any counter space at all. I'm going to start hunting on the web to see what I can find second hand. Thanks again!!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Links

Post by Links » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 am

Think I’ll give my dehydrated a go! I knew I’d use it again. My wife wanted to throw it out. I said no! Lol. Now I can say...see! Haha.

Side note: I bought some seaweed in big sheets, for sushi I suppose. The crabs don’t seem to eat much of it. And I have soooo much of it. Should I crumble it or coffee grind it? Or just tear it into little pieces?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:35 pm

We get some seaweeds in sheets. We usually cut them into little strips then cut them down into tiny 1/4 x 1/4 inch squares. It's always hard to say how much they eat of the seaweed we offer but they go nuts over burning bush leaves! Those are always the fist to go in the tank.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Links

Post by Links » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:41 pm

I’ll keep that in mind. Probably buy some because every burning bush I know is in a landscaping somewhere and the potential for pesticides is high.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:37 pm

Links wrote:Think I’ll give my dehydrated a go! I knew I’d use it again. My wife wanted to throw it out. I said no! Lol. Now I can say...see! Haha.

Side note: I bought some seaweed in big sheets, for sushi I suppose. The crabs don’t seem to eat much of it. And I have soooo much of it. Should I crumble it or coffee grind it? Or just tear it into little pieces?

Good thing you kept it! Image Just make sure you make some awesome crabby foods so she doesn't have a reason to throw it out while you aren't looking haha!! Image

Links

Post by Links » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:04 pm

all i have to do is remind her of the jerky she liked so much.

Topic author
CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Links wrote:ImageImageImage all i have to do is remind her of the jerky she liked so much.

Haha, there ya go! Image