Coconut Crabs

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Coconut Crabs

Post by SuperFanjaya » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:34 pm

I heard people on this site have coconut crabs as pets. they are HUGE! How and where do you keep them? I dont think you can fit a cage big enough for them in your house, so do you have like an outdoor pen for them or something? Sorry if this is a stupid question, i just need to know! lol
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:43 am

As far as I know, no-one here is keeping a coconut crab. But they get sold and people do keep them as pets. But mostly the coconut crabs are sold when they are still small, often they are still wearing a shell and many die before they get so big that they cannot be kept in normal tanks anymore.

If you wanted to keep one, you would need to convert an entire room into a crabitat so that the crab can climb and especially dig - their molting tunnels are up to 3 feet long and deep. That much substrate has a lot of weight...
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

brad873

Post by brad873 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:56 am

Mokulele_Hawai'i has a coconut crab, and has had them in the past too. it would be best to PM him about them

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:36 am

brad873 wrote:Mokulele_Hawai'i has a coconut crab, and has had them in the past too. it would be best to PM him about them
I wonder if he keeps his Coconut Crab in a tank or in a outside enclosure.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Post by SuperFanjaya » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 am

coconut crabs are cute and alll, but i dont want one! haha. Where do they live in the wild?
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 am

Coconut crabs are native to the islands of Indonesia and the surrounding areas. They live in similar conditions to hermit crabs and would need the same things they need (I presume).

Mokulele_Hawai'i does have a coconut crab, but he lives in Indonesia. I do not think you can keep them as pets (they are not sold) in the United States or Canada. :wink:

brad873

Post by brad873 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:40 am

Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs wrote: I wonder if he keeps his Coconut Crab in a tank or in a outside enclosure.
he has an outside enclosier

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 am

Aaah, the joys of living in a high humidity climate :D
I think it's sad that it gets easier to buy coconut crabs in Germany. I could go and buy one right now, for as little as 100 Euros :(
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002

brad873

Post by brad873 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:13 am

alive or dead?

annopia

Post by annopia » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:49 am

would you be capable of shipping a coconut crab you bought to the US, or are there strict laws where you are?

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:58 pm

brad873 wrote:alive or dead?
:hlol:

brad873

Post by brad873 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:12 pm

why is that funny?

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:16 pm

brad873 wrote:why is that funny?
Oh,you weren't being sarcastic? :shock: Nevermind. :P

brad873

Post by brad873 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:18 pm

no, i was actually asking a question. i wanted to know if they can be bought as pets or food

Jedediah
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jedediah » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:30 am

Alive, as pets :) I have no idea if I could ship one to the US, but I think there's no law against exporting animals bought in pet shops. But I wouldn't do it anyway, I don't want to support the trade in wildcaught animals, especially with species that cannot be kept as pets by most people. The hype for exotic pets is really bad at the moment in Germany, you can buy all sorts of animals that cannot be kept in an apartment (but are sold to people living in apartments anyway) or that are very demanding in their care, too demanding for most people who just want a cute pet. :evil:
Ook, said the Librarian
Crabbing since 2002