moss/growth on tree branches, pics, safe?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
hprmom

moss/growth on tree branches, pics, safe?

Post by hprmom » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:12 pm

We had a big storm yesterday so today I went out to harvest fallen oak branches for climbing and eating. Our crabs love hanging out on these branches and strip them clean of bark to boot! Usually I put these in a 200F oven for two hours to sterilize. But today I'm noticing more moss/growth/mold (I'm not sure which!) on the branches than usual and am wondering if it's safe for the crabs? Should I scrub it off before baking it, or will baking take care of anything harmful?

Here's what I would consider typical and "normal" for our oak branches (click any photo for larger images):

Here are examples of what I'm seeing today. First branch is nearly all WHITE, which seems odd so it bothers me more than the green stuff.
ImageImageImage

What do you think? Thanks!

Ilovehermies74

Re: moss/growth on tree branches, pics, safe?

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:50 pm

I would find a cleaner stick to be safe but i might be wrong. :crabbigsmile:
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Maybe you could bake it for 2 hrs in the oven at a low temp like 250 to sterilize it. I can't imagine a hermie's never seen a moss covered piece of wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:24 pm

It's actually lichen. I've used it in terrarium tanks and it dies quickly due to lack of strong sunlight. I'd recommend wearing a sturdy pair of thick gardening gloves and rubbing it off. A tight twisting motion will pop it off easy. Then rinse well and use a plastic scrubby pad to finish up the cleaning. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:59 pm

wodesorel wrote:It's actually lichen. I've used it in terrarium tanks and it dies quickly due to lack of strong sunlight. I'd recommend wearing a sturdy pair of thick gardening gloves and rubbing it off. A tight twisting motion will pop it off easy. Then rinse well and use a plastic scrubby pad to finish up the cleaning. :)
Yay for identification! Is the white stuff due to lichen, too? I gotta try a different store for gardening gloves, Lowe's only carries the kind that are dipped in nitrile(?), the rubber like coating. Can't believe how hard it is to find plain canvas gloves anymore!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:25 am

Yes, it can be grey, green, or white. Lichen is flat, circular and a little flakey, like paper.

Try looking where they have the work gloves - my last few pairs of garden gloves have been for welding and construction and have been wonderful.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:26 pm

that is good to know about lichen!
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:22 am

Should I clean these?Image

Back of package

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:45 pm

I've never seen those; interesting! Does it say anywhere what type of branches they are?

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:48 pm

Nope, just what's in the pic. I got them at Petco. It says Imagitarium which I think is the brand. Then it says Creature Comforts and Mossy Branches. I think they are meant for terrariums. I wasn't sure about the "moss" so I soaked the branches in SW made from Instant Ocean and dechlorinated water overnight. Then I baked them in the oven. The moss had dried and started to flake off so I just rubbed the rest off and wrapped each branch with some of the same moss I use for the hermies moss pitt, also purchased at petco, with fish net and now each (there are 6) retains moisture and boosts my humidity. It's spagnum moss. Awesome. They look like mini mossy logs lol.

Is there a way to identify branches? Maybe I'll check petco.com

Last edited by AleyedtoBuggie on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:07 am

It does not say online sigh.

https://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/ ... d-branches