Reptitherm UTH Question

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Persia352

Reptitherm UTH Question

Post by Persia352 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Hello Everyone!

I have upgraded to a 30 Gallon tank and I have ordered the 50-60 Gallon UTH to put on the back. My question is how hot do these get. Do I actually need a thermo stat with this or can i just run it without. Thanks a bunch!

Happy Crabbies

Re: Reptitherm UTH Question

Post by Happy Crabbies » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 pm

I have a 40 breeder and I have the whole back covered. The one you bought might be too long, because the gallon size determines how large they are. If it fits, I would try just leaving it on and see how hot it gets. I have two on the back of my tank, and I usually only have to use the bigger one because it does get too hot, but I live in Arizona and it gets hot here any way.
3 PP's: George (Jumbo/male),Rose (small-medium/female), and Ceylon (small-medium/male)
3 E's: Sunny (small/male), Rocky (medium/female), Lily (medium/female)
1 Cat: Skittles <3

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:13 pm

The Ultratherms are the ones that most people order. I don't think the Reptitherms can be safely insulated (read the directions when it comes) so you should not have to worry about using a thermostat on it!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

orangefire

Post by orangefire » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 pm

I use the next size down for a 10g.

I know it says not to but I have to insulate it a bit for it to sufficiently heat the tank. I use blankets and such to do so. I also keep it on a thermostat and it never gets more than warm to the touch.

I wouldnt worry to much about overheating in your case, but I think a thermostat for any setup is an invaluble safety asset, especially if you have any sort of concern that overheating could happen. Really puts the mind at ease.
Crab Army: 3 PP's strong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Shi Shi Sha!!" -Rusty Shackleford

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:48 pm

I just threw away a Zoomed that hit 150 degrees last night, not insulated. I think it was failing and was worried about it starting a fire. They're generally really safe when you follow the directions, but caution should be used as they are a heating device. Mine had been removed from a tank at some point, but it had worked fine for several years.

Topic author
Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:57 pm

Thank-you very much for all your help. i have a thermostat I will use just to be on the safe side. I live in Florida and we keep the heat and air temps set at 79 year round so my main concern is that I do not want them to get too warm. I read too conflicting articles on the repttherms. One stated they can really get hot and another stated they only raise the tank temps 8-10 degrees above room temperature. I also read where a thermostat can wear them out quicker shutting them on and off.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:23 pm

They're pricier but a proportional thermostat causes the least amount of damage to the pad - a regular thermostat turns the power fully on and fully off, but a proportional acts as a dimmer to keep the temperature steady. You only really need 5 degrees so that pad should be perfect without having to mess with it. See what happens once it's up and running for a few days. Most of us are working with 70 degree rooms so need a huge heat boost.