New to the forum, and building new crabitat.

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Hdale85

Re: New to the forum, and building new crabitat.

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Ok now the humidity is dropping a lot, down to 77% last I looked lol. Maybe last time I did the calibration I didn't leave it long enough.

Here is the crab in question. If I look real close in person he's got a bit of elongated eyes so idk if he's just young and his eyes will change shape as he gets older or if he's just not an E?

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:33 pm

Well I got a little 60 or 80mm fan in there, it doesn't move a ton of air but it's something. I have a nice 120mm fan but can't figure out how to mount that in there in a way that the crabs wouldn't mess with it.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:01 pm

Also the hydrometer settled right at 80% and didn't budge just like last time. So it's 5% high. I'm hoping there's just a dry spot in the middle of the tank and the fan will help circulate the humidity. It also could be the high temp is drying it out quicker.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:31 am

Looking back at the pictures of your tank. Assuming you took the insulation off of the UTH since heat has been up? Will need to play around with everything to see what balances it out. (Dimmers, bubblers, heat, etc) I also have my fan on a dimmer. It's a 2 speed 5in fan and sometimes it can also decrease the humidity, so then I put it midway on the dimmer and it does 5 second pulses of air.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:40 am

Hmm I guess I can remove the insulation for now, I'd rather not lol but it's probably smart to do for now. I'm going to monitor it more today and see what happens. The crabs seem pretty happy, one of the original 2 is out every night changing shells it seems lol. And also the bigger of the new ones has changed shells a bunch and is always out. So is the one that's species is in question.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Well pulled the insulation off, and then put the glass tops back on and used some packing tape to seal up the back edge and stuff because they don't really fit all the way across completely. Temps have been at 87 and humidity 85% for hours now.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:38 pm

Yeah looks like my heat and humidity issues are good now, been sitting steady ever since I sealed it up like I did so apparently the bubblers are producing enough humidity with the fan. I'm still going to get a better quieter fan for it though, probably a beQuiet fan as I have to order one for something else anyways.

Still waiting for my big food order from hermies kitchen, so for now I got some broccoli carrots and apples in there for them.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Awesome!! :clap:

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:13 pm

Yeah now I just wish I could find out if that's an E or not.......that way I can look for some more E's if I need to lol.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Honestly. it really is dubious.... But I'd say maybe a PP??? The claw is big and darker, but the coloring is Ecuadorian.

However, in this link (http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/species.jpg) I think it might be purple pincher (c. clypeatus) because of the 4th row from the top crabs? Please take this with a grain of salt and look at it yourself, as I am crazy torn.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:58 pm

Yea, probably is a PP.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:37 am

I've officially lost track of who is who with the 2 bigger ones. They both keep changing shells and now I've no idea which one is which....

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Yep. Welcome to the club! :hlol:

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:21 am

So with one of the glass panels propped up by a little thing my humidity has been staying right at 79/80 and temps right around 85. This is awesome, BUT the wood is molding :( I soaked it all in salt water quite a bit before putting it in there. My big oven doesn't currently work so I couldn't bake the big piece but I did bake the little ones but all of them are molding. So I'm not sure what to do. I may pull out the wood and find something plastic to put in or something. Honestly none of them are even climbing currently. I check in on them all the time at night (as that's the only time they emerge now). I was considering putting the shell shop in the top part that I made, but considering none of them have even attempted to climb up there I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Hdale85 wrote:So with one of the glass panels propped up by a little thing my humidity has been staying right at 79/80 and temps right around 85. This is awesome, BUT the wood is molding :( I soaked it all in salt water quite a bit before putting it in there. My big oven doesn't currently work so I couldn't bake the big piece but I did bake the little ones but all of them are molding. So I'm not sure what to do. I may pull out the wood and find something plastic to put in or something. Honestly none of them are even climbing currently. I check in on them all the time at night (as that's the only time they emerge now). I was considering putting the shell shop in the top part that I made, but considering none of them have even attempted to climb up there I'm not sure that's a good idea.
I soak all of my wood structures in MSW overnight, then bake them the following morning. When putting them in the tank, I have learned from other HCA members to not put them in direct contact with the sub. For instance, I have a 12 ft cholla I have propped on a sea shell for the hermies to climb up from the bottom to the top levels. Putting in direct contact with the sub will increase chances of mold. Hope that helps!! Btw, if the piece is too big to put in the oven, after soaking it, let it dry out in the sun.