It happened again....

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
JulesRolyCrab

It happened again....

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Another dead crab. The active one. I'm really sad, I thought conditions were great. I'm going to replace all of the sand and substrate and try again, but still have one (very lethargic) living crab. Would it be okay for them to be moved to a tupperware container or smallish (meaning smaller than a 10 gallon) plastic container, or should I wait till they're good or do I need to buy another tank??? Sorry, I'm sort of down after this loss, I am very sad. I don't know what happened, he was very active. I was stupid and picked him up in the bubbling salt water pool and I probably shouldn't have, but would that kill him?? If so, I am severely sad, I can't believe I could've done something like that. I didn't think that a crab would get so stressed by that they would die, really. I'm hoping it wasn't me.....

Anyway, the container question? Thanks.

Kermie16

Re: It happened again....

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:22 am

So sorry for your loss :( You moving him from the MSW pool should not have affected him or caused him to die. Don't blame yourself!! If you think the sub may be an issue, then I would go ahead and move the crabs and change out the sub. Good luck!

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:10 pm

This URL will take you to the emergency template. Answer the questions and we can help you better http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=46102
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
"Feels like a desert around.. my bowls and sand mounds..so Imma frown..
"SO WILL YOU GET THE MIST!?"
Me - "HECK YEAH!"
(To the tune of "Business" by Eminem)

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:12 pm

Oh, no! Jules, I'm so sorry. ((hugs)) I hope you find the cause soon, it's heartbreaking to not know if/what you can do. Fill out emergency template as Franckinator suggests?

Topic author
JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:39 am

Jerome: thanks for the support. It really helps.

Franckinator: I did the emergency template when I built this new crabitat and there were no obvious problem areas. My answers wouldn't be any different, except that there is a bit more substrate and I added bubblers for increased humidity. I really, really appreciate the concern though, thank you.

hprmom: Thank you, that helps a lot. The other guy is still alive but staying in the exact same area. I know he hasn't been leaving the cocohut but he has been changing positions everyday and responds to light. I really don't know what is up.

Thanks everyone.

Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Have you checked your gauges for accuracy. Maybe they need calibrated. New crabs slould be left alone to acclimate to their new home. Could be the little guys were just sick to begin with. So sorry for your loss!

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:13 am

I'm sorry as well. I feel the pain as I've had two new crabs pass on me recently. Keep up the determination, though. Just try to be very cautious with handling new crabs - don't do it unless they are in some sort of danger, really. Until they molt a few times, they can still be extremely stressed.

If you want to move your crab(s), I'd say to not pick him up directly. Perhaps, scoop the sand underneath him into a cup and set that into a proper tank or container with a small amount of sand and food with humid air and all that. If he's real still, try to be quiet and not touch him directly and, if you can, my intuition would say to do it at night so it would be a more natural time for the crab to be moving and awake.
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
"Feels like a desert around.. my bowls and sand mounds..so Imma frown..
"SO WILL YOU GET THE MIST!?"
Me - "HECK YEAH!"
(To the tune of "Business" by Eminem)

hermitcrabmomma85

Post by hermitcrabmomma85 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:44 pm

oh i am so sorry to hear that it was nothing you did they may have just been too sick :(

Sensi

Post by Sensi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:22 am

JulesRolyCrab wrote:Another dead crab. The active one. I'm really sad, I thought conditions were great. I'm going to replace all of the sand and substrate and try again, but still have one (very lethargic) living crab. Would it be okay for them to be moved to a tupperware container or smallish (meaning smaller than a 10 gallon) plastic container, or should I wait till they're good or do I need to buy another tank??? Sorry, I'm sort of down after this loss, I am very sad. I don't know what happened, he was very active. I was stupid and picked him up in the bubbling salt water pool and I probably shouldn't have, but would that kill him?? If so, I am severely sad, I can't believe I could've done something like that. I didn't think that a crab would get so stressed by that they would die, really. I'm hoping it wasn't me.....

Anyway, the container question? Thanks.
Please don't blame yourself. I just lost one myself. Sometimes there is just no explanation. My conditions were also perfect in both my main tank and my iso were he passed. I always feel terrible. Thank God for finding this forum. I very rarely lose crabbies and haven't lost one for a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Crabbie mom to Popcorn, Barbosa, Elizabeth Swan, Peanut butter/George Lopez/Bob the Builder (given three names by my 13 yr old I know not why), Will Turner, Pickle, Sideways and R.I.P. Bubbles, Junior, E, Spike, Callipso, Davy Jones and Capt'n Jack, Carlos and Speedy :(

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:06 am

Sorry for your loss it's something we all fear. I would def calibrate your gauges just to make sure i have 2 sets of gauges both calibrated in my tank which i monitor like a hawk.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk