Two New Crabs at Home - Tips Needed

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:12 pm

Hehe...Foamy. Interesting name. :D
Featherscrabs....are you sure??? Because on this care sheet that I've been looking at (click right here), it says: "create your own treats for crabs using the following crab-safe foods: fruit (except acidic fruits such as citrus or tomatoes)..." I'm not trying to argue or anything, I just want to make sure before I feed my crabs these fruits. Thanks! :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:10 am

I'll send a post to Nar or someone about that. It seems it is outdated. The most up to date research on food is being done by "Julia Crab" she runs the Epicurian Hermit site. "Citrus leaves and branches to be avoided; part of the evergreen family. The fruit is fine" You'll find tomatoes and citrus fruits on the Safe Food list to the right under the FAQ section.

As always do what you feel comfortable with. :)

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:46 am

Yea, citrus foods are fine. If you feed them oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits, make sure you give them the peel as well as the pith (the white stuff) has lots of calcium in it! MMM!! :D THe theory behind them is that hermies live in tropical enviroments and so do cirtus fruits and they most likely come across them all the time....and when offered most crabs will love to eat them...peel and all! Mine particularly love grapefruit...especially my straws.

(yes the sheet is outdated...well be fixing that soon)

Congrats on your new crabbies!! YEAY! cute names too ;)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Durbkat wrote:klepto5904, by cage do you mean like a cage with wire mesh or do you mean a tank? Here is a checklist of the things that crabs need http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pa ... cklist.doc
So what did you mean by "cage"?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:58 pm

Durbkat wrote: So what did you mean by "cage"?
Oh, I'm sorry. Computer was down and I haven't been on in awhile. I meant tank. My stepdad is going to give me a taririum though. It's huge...used to be his headboard for the bed. So, I'm not that worried about it anymore.

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:17 pm

I sit made of glass, then? And does it have a lid? You will need a lid to keep in the humidity and temperature.
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:19 pm

Ryanstein wrote:I sit made of glass, then? And does it have a lid? You will need a lid to keep in the humidity and temperature.
It's glass and does have a lid and lights. It's pretty nice. He kept it for his reptiles.

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:26 pm

A terarium for reptiles at the hed of my bed! :D That is cool. I could use one of those!
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

annopia

Post by annopia » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:34 pm

wow, sounds like a really nice tank! im jealous!

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:23 pm

you guys are so sweet!