Crab racing event in san diego.....needs a vendor

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Crab racing event in san diego.....needs a vendor

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:32 am

Hey

this is not an emergency per se as in the life of a crab.

we are an entertainment company who does crab racing here on the east coast. we have an event this saturday in san diego and are looking for someone experience with hermit to run the event. we can send you all the supplies.

scott roth
advanced entertainment
800-223-6060

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:45 am

I dont think any of us would advocate such an event :?
We keep them as pets in a safe enviroment.
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:04 pm

Are you part of crabracing.com? I want to discusss the treatment of the crabs you use to race. Here are some things I want to bring up even if you are not part of the website.

1. Hoe do you contain these crabs? In these races I know there are many and a large container would be needed to house all of them.

2. Do you follow basic care guidelines for them when they are not raced? To the right is a caresheet which explains the care they need.

3. Although it would be hard to tell the difference between them without painted shells and numbers, do thier whose shells have to be decorated in this event? Could at least a tag be tied to the end of thier shells or even just classify them by the shell they are in?

Topic author

Re: Crab racing event in san diego.....needs a vendor

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:41 pm

Advanced Entertainment wrote:Hey

this is not an emergency per se as in the life of a crab.

we are an entertainment company who does crab racing here on the east coast. we have an event this saturday in san diego and are looking for someone experience with hermit to run the event. we can send you all the supplies.

scott roth
advanced entertainment
800-223-6060
:shock:
Hey, how about we just send some animal rights protesters to your event? Better yet, how about you and your coworkers get on your knees and race instead, that would prove far more entertaining to us than watching you abuse hermit crabs!

Just a suggestion. :?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:41 pm

east coast... san diego?

i'll do it.

on your mark... get set... grab the crabs and run to my house!! :P

Zealous Euphemism
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Zealous Euphemism » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:37 pm

Just be glad he's looking for someone that knows what they're doing, rather than hiring someone who will do it cheaply.

I think one of us should do it: After all, it will still happen regardless, and at leat if one of our people are there it will be done without harm to the crabs: AND they might be able to spread some 'trat your hermit properly' propoganda...
~*~I should have been a pair of ragged claws, scuttling across the floors of silent seas~*~

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:42 pm

I'm a little confused. Since when has San Diego been on the east coast?

I asked my crabs if they wanted to be in a race, but they all seem to prefer the safety and serenity of their tank. They don't consider entertainment something to die for.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Zealous Euphemism wrote:Just be glad he's looking for someone that knows what they're doing, rather than hiring someone who will do it cheaply.

I think one of us should do it: After all, it will still happen regardless, and at leat if one of our people are there it will be done without harm to the crabs: AND they might be able to spread some 'trat your hermit properly' propoganda...
Unfortunately, there is no right way to do it. In the hermit crab races I'm familiar with, the first crab to die wins. You can't tell a crab which way to run, so they're all placed into the center of a table. The first to fall off the edge and shatter wins. No matter how the crabs are treated pre-race, the race itself is just wrong.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:57 pm

I went to their website. it doesn't really give any information on what they do for the race but here it is.
http://www.advancedentertainment.com/Ca ... bRaces.htm

but it does say the audience gets to take home their favorite crab.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:16 pm

I actually know of two kinds of crab races. There is the kind at www.crabrace.com which is terrible. Then there is another less lethal kind. I was at a bar mitzvah party and I saw this. This was before I learned about hermit crabs and their real needs.
It is hard to explain so here is a diagram
_start___________________________finish
crab |
--------------------------------------- |
crab |
crab |
crab |

They are put on a plane divided up into sections in which a crab is in each one. There is a flat device that allows them to all start at the same time. The end is just a mark that says finish. The few (it is a crab race so it isn't good in general so this is compared to the crabrace.com kind) things that make this slightly better is because this isn't on a table where they fall off. Also the crabs don't race over and over again. They are switched out to new crabs because the track can only hold so many. I do remember one bad thing about this obviously was the thing they were carried in (From my memory it was a critter keeper and it might have been filled with water). I don't know if this is the same company though. If you are reading this advanced entertainment is this how you do this?
I just wanted to mention a way this is done.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:28 pm

There website seems to be more child/family orientated. If the company targets children and families their races could be much different then the type they have in bars and other shaddy establishments. Though of course I doubt any of us would endorse a hermit crab race of any kind it would be excellent if there was someone there who knows how to care for the crabs.

This could be an opportunity to educate the public and even the company who races the crabs.

TO THE ORGINIAL POSTER...where is the event located and could you give us some more specific information on the race itself and how it is normally conducted? We are just concerned for the safety and happiness of the hermit crabs. Its important to remember that just because they are crabs they shouldn't be treated with any less care then you would any other favorite family pet.

Topic author
troppo

Post by troppo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:39 am

Zealous Euphemism wrote:Just be glad he's looking for someone that knows what they're doing, rather than hiring someone who will do it cheaply.

I completely agree with everyones opinions here,but all said and done,crab racing will still happen (like Zealous E has mentioned) fortunately for some and then not for others(i wouldn't take part),so if it can be done safely and humanely for the crabs concerned by a person that is experienced that would be the best thing,and as a bonus that person would be able to educate others on crab care :)
Is it possible that crab racing can be done in a humane way?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:57 am

I think Christa our site founder once monitored a crab race... ??? but I don't remember the details.

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:17 pm

Details: Crab race = death. simple as that. Don't get me started.

TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER, ADVANCED ENTERTAINMENT:

HCA is meant for the safety of crabs under the care of their owners, and getting to know others. :!: It is not, however, meant for trying to get some help for crab races. Also, it is not appropriate to post a non-crab care related post in the emergency forum. If you want to post something like this, do it in another forum.

Please read under our name, above.^ We love hermit crabs. Yes, we do. We do not support crab races. And I believe that everyone here feels the same. Many hermit crabs have died this way.

Ryan
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:18 pm

I really don't know what to say here except that i think crab races are pretty sickening if you ask me. This is a form of entertainment? For who? Anyone remember the Diving Horse?

Well i went to their website and called the phone number and asked them what the deal was. I asked where do you get the crabs? He told me that they go to a pet store and pick up a few before they head to the event. Then i asked what happens to the crabs after the race. He told me that some of them get to live with some of the kids at the party if their parents allow, or the people who run the party take them home. He told me that he has taken some home himself and still has them.

I told him that if he is a crab owner then he should know better.

Then i asked him how the race itself is handled. In order to get them to "run" they get sprayed with a water bottle. I told him that they "run" because they're trying to get away from your spraying. I also asked him if it would be ok with him if i came to his house, turned on the hose, and sprayed him...then i can watch him run away. Now THAT would be entertaining!