Humidity!!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Humidity!!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:56 am

ughh! My humidity has dropped 8%. Idk why. I have a glass top, glass tank, moist substrate, and a bubbler pool. Is there anything I can do to get that 8% back? I know this isn't a HUGE emeregency, but I have a new straw, plus 3 other straws, and 4 new E's. the humidity is at 72%, What can I doo!???

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:25 am

You could mist the tank?

Do you use lighting to heat the tank cause sometimes the lighting will dry the air and lower the humidity.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:29 am

I do use lighting. But it's been fine and 80% for weeks now.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:33 am

O, I just thought of something! Yesterday the temperature was a little low, so I moved the lamp closer! That must be what happend! But the temperature is at a good 80*. So I don't want to move it.... :? I don't have a spray bottle right now...I know, the one time I need it...because mine broke a while back, but I never needed it so never thought of buying one. but I am going out today to get some shells, a mesh lid(because Ive had escapes lately, so I am going ot put it under the glass lid) and moss, so I'll stop at target and get a spray bottle there. BUT, is there anything else I can do?

Topic author
brandi9976

Post by brandi9976 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:46 am

are you sure your hygrometer is working properly? have you put your hand in the tank to see if it feel humid? Is there condensation on the glass?

Do you have any moss pits? If you do you can take your moss out and soak it in some more dechlor water then put it back in. Do you have plastic hanging plants? If you do you can take them out stick them in a bowl of dechlor water and put them back in. Basically the objects you would mist just take out and stick in some dechlor water and put them back in, they will then have the water on them it just got there in a way other then misting. Does your substrate feel moist is it holding shape when you stick a finger in it? If not add a little dechlore to the substrate.

If you are sure the hygrometer is working properly then the above suggestions should help until you get a misting bottle.

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:46 pm

sponges can help with humidity along with spray bottles. Does it feel humid inside?
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:03 pm

Thanks guys. I found a spray bottle, and sprayed a lot, lol. The humidity is now 75% and i am going to bring it back to 80% tomorrow morning, just so I don't stress them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:35 pm

WAIT...so if your Humidity drops, then you should bring it back up slowely and not all at once???

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Yeah. Otherwise(especially w/ Straws) it can shock them, and stress them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:32 pm

Oh. Well I will keep that in mind. A couple weeks ago, I was fighting w/ the humidity. It was constanlty going up and down, like 6-10 %. That would explain why they are inactive and dug down. They have been and most likely still are destressing.

Humidity is good now.

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:17 pm

:D Instead of a mesh lid, you could save a bit of money & use Velcro in all 4 corners of the lid & tank. Just get the little squares in a pkg. & a long fuzzy strip from a fabric place. Adhere the picky ones in each corner of the lid & tank. Then cut a strip of the fuzzy stuff to length, leaving the strip of plastic on the glue side, & push it onto the picky pieces. :P Walla! No escapees. Works like a charm at minimal cost. Just a thought. :wink:
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

PPs,Straws,Es,Ruggies, Violas, & Indos!
3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:19 pm

That might work, but to late. I already bought it. And it was only $10. It works great too, and my hermies seem to like to walk to the middle of the 'tat with it, lol.

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:57 pm

:oops: Sorry I didn't post sooner! But if you still find escapees, you'll have a cheaper alternative. :wink: Or ya could just return the lid & do the velcro thing.
I march to the beat of a different drummer...did I mention my husband is a drummer!

3 Hounds, 1 Bunny-Lilly, 6 PDFs, Corns-Slither,Squiggle,Sparkle,Spirit,& Skully, Crayfish-Chester & Little Fella, Ts-Allure, Charisma, & Ladybird!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Nahh, that's ok. Cause if I ever upgradew my tank, then the 20GL will be for my gerbils, and I'l need that lid so they dont get out. (they're JUMPERS)

bksbuddha

Post by bksbuddha » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:30 pm

:lol: Yeah, I know their related to the Jerboa. I had tons of them when I was younger. As a matter of fact, my 2 breeding pairs w/babies all got out of their cages (the families each had their own) & some escaped my room. :shock: My mom found a couple on the stairs & FREAKED! She & my dad proceeded to gather them & place them back in their homes...still don't know how they got it right...just dumb %$&*house luck I guess. 8) Then, exhausted & furious, my mom proceed to stay in my room, w/the door opening blocked, until I returned from work, @ about midnight. Good thing she's a night person too! :lol: BTW, there was still a couple loose, which I subsequently caught by the next day! Luckily, Mom found it hilarious shortly after she calmed down! :smt044 We still laugh about it today!!! :wootjump: