They finally ate something fresh ( I think)

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
crystal

They finally ate something fresh ( I think)

Post by crystal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:51 pm

My guys have never gone for any of the fresh foods I've tried with them. I've done hibiscus flowers, papaya leaves, carrots, apples, banana, mango, greens, but they've only eaten the dry foods, like the shrimp, oats, rice, alfalfa pellets, and my dog and cat food. They go crazy over the dog and cat food. And when my pets do eat kibble, it's the good stuff with natural preservatives and dried fruits and veggies mixed in. But last night I put a piece of coconut in there, and they've dragged it somewhere that I can't see. So, how long before I should start looking for it? I don't want any leftover to rot or mold.
6PPs, 10Es

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Congratulations :occasion7: on the guys eating! They do love coconut.

I would say you have two or three days until it starts molding, depending on the humidity in your crabitat and location of the coconut. :wink:

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:55 pm

Hmmm, my humidity is about 85 right now. I have no clue where the coconut is. I'll probably try to get it back in the open when I get home, jsut so the other guys can get to it. I'm assuming somebody hid it for later consumption.
6PPs, 10Es

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:26 pm

I found it last night, it was under the shell pile! I moved it, and this morning I could see that it was a little smaller. These guys really dont' eat much.
6PPs, 10Es

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Yeah, they don't eat much at all. Were there nibble marks? If so, they most likely enjoyed it. :)

Coconut is really good for them. It offers some color enhancing nutrients, the oils help molts, and not to mention the vitamins. It's a great food that they really love. :D

The husk on the outside can also be given to them (you could just set it in the crabitat) and they will munch on it. I am almost positive that coconut husk does not mold, so that's a good thing that you do not have to worry about. :wink:

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 am

woot
congrats
coconuts are great!
though they do migrate.....

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:19 pm

are you suggesting coconuts migrate! LOL.
Yeah, the husks are in there. THey seemed to enjoy that better than the actual cocounut. There were little bite marks out of it, I just think that only a few got to eat it before it was hidden and made disgusting.
6PPs, 10Es

Lady WolfStorm
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Lady WolfStorm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:08 pm

A little late, but chanchanman was referring to a famous quote from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when he said that coconuts migrate :)

Topic author
crystal

Post by crystal » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:04 pm

One of my favorite movies!
6PPs, 10Es