Salt Water

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Salt Water

Post by SuperFanjaya » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:22 pm

I bought this "HYDRATE" saltwater stuff. Its in a water bottle, and all you do is pour it in their dish. Is this bad for them? Cuz i heard, when its specially marketed towards hermit crabs, it usually doesnt supply all of their needs. But on the bottle, it says, "Supplies all you hermit crabs salt water needs"
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:27 pm

I'm going to guess that it's not good for them. Could you send me a link to the product (from Petco or Petsmart)?

I've never heard of HYDRATE brand before. :?

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:28 pm

^^Spot on^^

You should probably use a more well known brand instead such as Instant Ocean or Oceanic

KeY+
:banghead:

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Post by SuperFanjaya » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:53 pm

ugh i cant find it on the website! but yeah, your right. I should probably use the mix salt water stuff. How would i measure it correctly? Can i just buy a 1 gallon bottle of Distilled or Spring water, and then put the correct amount of mix in? ahh this is gunna be annoying, im very bad at math=[
"All living things tremble before violence. All fear death, all love life."- Buddha.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 pm

It's not hard at all! 3/4 of a cup (or some people do 1 cup) of Instant Ocean/Oceanic for every gallon. :)

Willow

Post by Willow » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:20 pm

I've never heard of Hydrate brand. I did test Salt Water Glub once, and it is strong enough. But, wow---it is sooooo expensive (works out to $24.00 a gallon!!!). Yeah, getting a gallon jug of distilled water and adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Oceanic would be easiest, and much less expensive than buying pre-mixed salt water of dubious quality.

Topic author
SuperFanjaya

Post by SuperFanjaya » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:36 pm

ok=] How much money would the Oceanic Salt mix be? And, would i be able to get it at Petsmart?

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:40 pm

PetSmart should definitely carry Oceanic or Instant Ocean. I forget, but I think I purchased mine for $5 - $10 around a year and a half ago. :dunno:

blaze88

Post by blaze88 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:59 pm

If you are feeling lazy, you can go to a local fish store and buy pre mixed salt water about 50 cents a gallon. Bring your own container to keep it in though.
coloradocritterco.com