Mixing for saltwater

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Mixing for saltwater

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:57 pm

Can I mix the saltwater ahead of time and keep it in a container? And if so can I clean the container with apple cider vinegar? How is it different than using white vinegar?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:02 pm

I wouldn't mix it ahead of time. :?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:05 pm

I bought Instant Ocean and I only need a small amount and I don't know how much to mix besides 5 tablespoons for a gallon. So I was going to mix like a half gallon and save it.

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:10 pm

I mix up 1 gallon of Oceanic at a time. I get a gallon of pureified water and ad 1/3 cups to it. shake well, until completely dissolved. Use what I need, recap the jug and save the rest. :) it's always handy.
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:13 pm

I too also mix a gallon at a time. Supposedly, you should wait a day before using the mixture for the salt to dissipate. I see no reason while you can't keep salt water indefinitely.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Mixing a head of time is fine, its actually better. I keep marine tanks and its always suggested to let the saltwater sit for a few days before use so everything in it stabilizes. Salt water can also be stored pretty much indefinitely.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:36 pm

You're supposed to use 8-12 tablespoons (1/2 cup-3/4 cup) of salt per gallon........

Yes, you can mix it ahead of time. If you use a bottle that only had water in it, you don't need to clean it with vinegar. But if you do want to clean it, you can use apple cider vinegar, no problem. Don't use a bottle that ever held any chemicals. A milk jug might work out, if you clean it, but don't use a Clorox bottle or anything like that.

Lady WolfStorm
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Lady WolfStorm » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:49 pm

There should be some kind of warning said, about using a gallon jug and adding 1/2 cut of salt like Instant Ocean or something...

I did this yesterday with a brand new bottle of distilled water.

I started pouring, using a funnel so I don't make a mess of it, and the next thing I knew, water was coming out of the top of the jar!

Evidentally, salt displaces the water, making it rise and spill all over the place!

I hope in the end that it's close to a 1/2 cup to 1 gallon ratio. I had to pour the top off a little bit just to get the top on!
Proud mother to 4 PPs: Boss Hogg, Dollar, and No-Name (PPs, 4+ Years)
Tommy 8/30/10
RIP Mr. E, March 11, 2011-July 14, 2012 (E); Fizban 8/21/10 - 2012; Sandy, Chip and Dale (2007-2012) (PPs)