signs of molting?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
kayla.lageson

signs of molting?

Post by kayla.lageson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:58 pm

So I just bought 5 pp's (two meds and 3 sm) from petco and put them in a proper crabitat for the first few days ( I bought them literally four days ago) they all seemed occupied searching around. And now two of them went under … but its just been today however the biggest one of the two molters has been digging around alot today, and the smaller one dug under the food dish, what should I do? Check for signs of movement tomorrow and put a bottle on them?

CrabbyMom33

Re: signs of molting?

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm

How big is your tank and how deep is your substrate? If the tank is adequately sized and you have deep enough substrate they should be able to molt in the tank without covering them with a bottle. Occasionally a molter does get attached by another crab, but it is not the norm. One thing you can do to help prevent them from wanting to look for molting crab for an easy snack is to food them plenty of protein. A quick fix is scrambled eggs. Unseasoned meat and fish are also good, or you can get dried protein in the fish aisle at the pet store. Just be sure it doesn't contain anything else. Good options are krill, plankton, crickets, or bloodworms.
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
kayla.lageson

Re: signs of molting?

Post by kayla.lageson » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am

Ok well I know where u can get some blood worms. I have a 20 gal tall and my substrate (sand ) is about 3 inches deep