Salt water

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
bilbobaggins

Salt water

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 am

My two crabs are drinking a lot more salt water than they usually do. The freshwater is almost always full. Are they doing this to prepare for a molt? They aren't drinking as much freshwater, so are they able to balance it out?

piccolo41099

Re: Salt water

Post by piccolo41099 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:35 am

They know what they need way better than we do. If they are using more salt water than normal than I would guess that is what the need right now.

I know my salt water dish is used way more than my fresh, although I am guessing it is because of the straw's.
Wife to the love of my life, mommy to 5 boys and 2 girls and crab mama to 11 pp's, 2 straw's lovin' their new 90g home.

DragonsFly

Re: Salt water

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:25 am

They may well be loading up on salt water in preparation to molt, or they may just want more of it right now because of a deficit of some kind. Piccolo is right that they know what they need better than we do; just keep providing clean sources of both fresh and marine-grade salt water in big enough/deep enough dishes so that they can submerge their shells (with a reliable way to climb out), and they will take what they need of each type of water, as they need it.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton