Digging questions

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
system10

Digging questions

Post by system10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:24 pm

THIS WAS POSTED APRIL 4TH-------->quick question on my update on Hermie and Skuttles the other day Hermie buried himself right beside Skuttles well he came back up well yesterday Skuttles finally came back up after being buried a week I thought maybe he was molting I watched him unbury himself. well then later that day he buried himself again and I was showing them off to a friend so I sought him out. well this morning he is buried again?????? Molting or just goofing off?..... Also while Skuttles was buried the first time before he came up Hermie made what looked like a four wheeler doughnut in the sand lol.
TODAY------> Skuttles is still buried I want to change the tank around and add more sand but I don't know if Skuttles is trying to molt or not :smt102 :smt102

kuza

Re: Digging questions

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:35 pm

I would wait if you're not sure where he is or if he's molting. Are you using all play sand?

Topic author
system10

Post by system10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I got the calcium sand from petsmart on one side and that woodchip molting stuff on one side I want to do all sand.....

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm

I would wait until you see him, then do it with them both in a safe location.

Topic author
system10

Post by system10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:08 pm

it's weird he already buried himself and stayed under for a week and came back up the other day well he's buried himself again Idk what he's doing?

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:11 pm

how long have you had him?

Topic author
system10

Post by system10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:38 pm

I got Hermie march 2nd and Skuttkes the 3rd so almost 2 months.

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm

He could be either molting or de-stressing. Can you tell is he's coming up each night?

Topic author
system10

Post by system10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 pm

I haven't seen him come up but one time and that was during the day after he was buried for a week

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm

I would wait then, he may be molting.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 pm

You shouldn't dig him up, just in case he is molting :) Crabs go underground for various reasons, to relax, to feel safe, to molt, or just because they like to dig. So he could be doing a combination of these things :) It's hard to not get to show them off, but the risk of digging up a molter wouldn't be worth it :(
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
system10

Post by system10 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:24 pm

it's not that I want to show him of I want to get the mulching stuff out of there and put all sand and kinda mix the sand up but he keeps digging so I don't know what to do.

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Just gotta wait. I'm also waiting for my 2 to come up so I can mix the sand and level it out a tad more. But I have a feeling Uno is going to go down to molt just as they come up. SO I could be waiting weeks before I get to mix mine up again.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 am

Also, you said you have calci-sand; that's not really good for crabs; it can harden and trap a molter. You can mix it with your EE for now, but when you finally do go to change out substrate, you should probably go with play sand instead (it is much, much cheaper as well as better for them--you can get a BIG bag of it at Lowe's or Home Depot for less than $4). You can use just play sand by itself; that's what mine just molted in and they did great. Most of the long-term crabbers here recommend a 5 parts play sand to 1 part EE mix, so you could try that, too, if you like (I just set up a 55g, and I just took a big plastic cup and scooped five scoops of sand, then one of EE, scattering it over the sand, then 5 more of sand, etc., to try the 5 to 1 mix; the EE is supposed to help process their waste a bit). But if crabs are dug under, leave them alone until they are coming up consistently at night. Disturbing a molter can kill them.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton