Is this normal?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
HermitCrabCare101

Is this normal?

Post by HermitCrabCare101 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Ok so my pp, Spider always threatens me in the weirdest way. Whenever i walk up to his tank to fast or pop my head in to fast he acts like his going to take off his shell. Once i ran up to his tank and he kept inching his shell off very slowly. I guess it's just his weird way of getting you to go away. He is new but i was just wondering if it's normal. Have your crabs ever done that? :huh::

Little_Dwebble

Re: Is this normal?

Post by Little_Dwebble » Tue May 22, 2012 9:26 pm

None of mine have ever done that before. Are you sure he is trying to take his shell off? Hmmm... strange. Can mites make hermit crabs look like they are itchy? I've never had mites in my hermit crab tank but that is the only thing I would suggest to check out. I could be wrong though, I've only had my hermit crabs since December last year so I'm pretty new to this hermit crab care.
Dwebble, Pinchy, Corphish and Darth Vader - What Cuties... wish you were all here with me :'(

Topic author
HermitCrabCare101

Post by HermitCrabCare101 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:13 am

Well i know he doesn't have mites, and yes i'm sure he's taking his shell off because i could see his abdomen.

SaPen

Post by SaPen » Sat May 26, 2012 5:48 am

I've had mine slowly pull the shell back like that, wiggling it little by little back until I can see their abdomen, but never when I've just come up to the tank....that seems counterproductive. I've always taken it as either they are hot or are dumping something from their shells. Not sure why your guys doing it when you spook him though, mine just suck themselves in or run away.
Rhea: Female Ecuadorian (2010)
Eurybia: Female Ecuadorian (2011)
Zephyr: Male Ecuadorian (2012)
Apollo :Male Purple Pincher (Summer 2013)

~Crabbing since September 2008~

Topic author
HermitCrabCare101

Post by HermitCrabCare101 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:13 am

Well it doesn't really matter anymore he's dead.