Where the heck did my crab go?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Amg1992

Post by Amg1992 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post but I posted yesterday in the Emergency section about how one of my crabs were digging and the other dug him out, well he was fine after he was dug out and started climbing and having a blast, but I go check on them for the first time today and the same one is no where to be found. As a lot of you know my tank is plain and there really isn't many places he could be.He may be in the corner of the tank completely under the sand but I'm not sure if I should check since he could be molting. I'm also a bit fearful that if he is molting he might not make it considering I don't have heat lamps and things to keep the humidity level . I'm half positive he's under the sand but there is a very very slight chance he could've escaped since he likes to crawl up the corner of the tank, I'm highly doubting he did, but as I said still slightly positive. I don't think he could lift a metal screened top off.

Happy Crabber

Re: Where the heck did my crab go?

Post by Happy Crabber » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:56 am

My guess is that he is under the sand. Probably needs to destress, especially if he was dug under and another one dug him up.

Can you put some heavy things on the screen top to make it hermit proof? You'll feel better knowing they can't get out. And of course, its better for the crabs too. :)
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

Pepe4Life

Post by Pepe4Life » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:57 am

Yeah, try putting something heavy up top the lid. You'd be surprised at what a crab can accomplish.
I've got crabs...
3 E's

Topic author
Amg1992

Post by Amg1992 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:28 am

My husband said it would be pretty impossible for a crab to get out, after examining it I'd have to agree with him since it clamps in.

Should I put my finger in the sand where I think he's at just to double check?

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:08 am

I would advise against digging for him. If your cover is clamped on then he is probably in there some where. With all the changes in his life he is probably a little stresses and needs some down time. Do make sure your lid is secure though. A good size crab can easily escape. Some people use velcro, I have a couple bricks right now until I cut the plexiglass to fit properly. Don't forget too. They can stay buried for a long time. Is your tank on a stand where where you can peek at the bottom? Some times you can keep an eye on them that way.
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

Topic author
Amg1992

Post by Amg1992 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 pm

I just put some stuff on top of it, I shouldn't have said that it clamps it, it more so just fits perfectly around the tank (hard to explain), I don't know how strong crabs are but it does life right up, but it would have to take a bit of force. Like I said, I don't think he got out, but there is still a little bit of me concerned. I cleaned yesterday and didn't see him, I do think he's in the sand, but I won't be completely fine until he comes back up.

Also while their under the "ground" for days/weeks how do they survive when they don't drink and get water?

I wish there was a way I knew for sure he was in the tank, but if he is molting I don't want to bother him.

Pepe4Life

Post by Pepe4Life » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:58 pm

To answer your food and drink question, if your crab is indeed molting: Hermit crabs, before molting (to prepare), they will store food and water in a black bubble-sac on the side of their abdomen.
I've got crabs...
3 E's

Yuka

Post by Yuka » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:03 pm

As for the you not knowing how strong crabs can be, mine have moved rocks and most of them are smalls and these rocks are quite a bit bigger than them lol
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

Pepe4Life

Post by Pepe4Life » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Haha, Yuka, I know what you mean. I've seen my small E drag a shell almost twice his size across the tank. He has freakishly strong claws.
I've got crabs...
3 E's