What type crabs can I add with PP's????

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:29 pm

I have 3 PP's and according to my kids "they are boring" I call them relaxed and low maintenance. My kids are 10 and 15 and have wanted crabs for years, I finally gave in on the way home from the beach this year on July 1.

So my question is, what active other breeds can I put in my 25g (or maybe it's a 29g) tank with them? All 3 of them are small. George is tiny, maybe a bit bitter than a quarter and the other 2 aren't much larger than that even though their shells say other wise. I've read that E's are active and I love the colors of the Strawberry's and Viola's. What will work best with my p's and how many can I get? I know I have to get 2 at least so they have a crab buddy.
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24 pm

I would go for a couple of Es. They are usually quite entertaining!
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

kuza

Re: What type crabs can I add with PP's????

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24 pm

E's are very active during the day. Now, that means they just do more during the day compared to PP's. That doesn't mean they are going to do flips for you all day long. However, around 6-7 in the evening my E's start doing laps around the top of my tank and everyone is mesmerized by it. We had company this weekend and my wife's friends spent 50% of her time in front of my tank watching my E's do laps. Mind you, that's with 5 E's in the tank and non molting, so there are plenty of times I have NO action, that's just the name of the game.

The great thing with E's is not just their activity, but they are also faster and move in all directions, where PP's are slow and can really only run forward so they tend to shell up. E's scatter, drop, fall and jump to get away from you if you enter the room when it's very light out. So a nice red light is great for viewing in the evening. My E's scale the top of the tank bar and glass top, it's amazing and my PP's never seem to do this, however I have many more E"s then PP's because of how crazy they are so many other people's PP's are more climbers then mine.

deesjebeesje

Post by deesjebeesje » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:36 am

I got alots of crabs and the only one that I see are my straws, but I dont have E's you cant get them here :(

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:57 am

I agree on getting a couple Es. With 3 crabs already I would only get 2. I would also get small ones. Es tend to be more confrontational, not in a real aggressive way, but more like walking up to a crab, smacking it, and moving on. My Es mostly do that to each other, but sometimes will decide to try a boxing match with a PP. The PPs normally look at them like they are nuts! lol
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:02 am

Great thank you so much for the info! I was looking at getting them Thursday while at Pet Smart but I am going to have to wait since I am pretty sure George is molting (not seen him in a week) Sebastian (Bash) is up and down yes I will molt, no I won't molt, and Speedy is one leg shorter this morning, it is literally laying next to him in the tank. Scared the crud outta me when I saw that this morning.
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/