Are my hermit crabs mating?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
HermitCrabingrid

Are my hermit crabs mating?

Post by HermitCrabingrid » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:14 pm

2/7 of my hermit crabs Lego and sammy have been hanging out together, they o everywhere together and wont leave I know sammy is a girl and Lego is a boy, they eat, drink, and sleep together, they are hugging too! They are not doing this with other crabs... Do the love each other? :bigkiss:

Lasuna

Re: Are my hermit crabs mating?

Post by Lasuna » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:59 pm

I highly doubt it. Your tank isn't natural enough a setting for them to mate. They're just hanging out.
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una

Nnnnnnnn

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Lasuna wrote:I highly doubt it. Your tank isn't natural enough a setting for them to mate. They're just hanging out.
Someone on here had a tank with two hideys, a piece of wood, and a second level, and they had eggs.

ceo1282

Post by ceo1282 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm not sure about love but they could be mating. Tank conditions may contribute to mating but from what I was told they're still not sure what makes some crabs mate in captivity & others not...they just don't know. Keep an eye out for eggs! Goodluck :D
Yes, I own hermit crabs. Am I crazy? Yes, but not because I own hermit crabs :p
PP's:*Midge*Monkey*Jewel*Peanut*Shellie
*Kirby&*Mumble

E's:*Spot*Valory &*Squiggles
Ruggies:*Luna,*Scarlet, &*Mack

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Noswad0208 wrote: Someone on here had a tank with two hideys, a piece of wood, and a second level, and they had eggs.
That would be me. And it was a shock. But they were given natural temperatures and high humidity, and about 12 inches of peat moss and sand substrate to molt in. It was natural, it was just barren.

Crabs will travel in packs, and they will often climb all over each other and try to chase each other out of shells they may want. The differences between mating and shell fighting is basically nothing until you actually see them fertilizing eggs. Having been lucky enough to watch and film an actual mating this year, I was nearly at the point where I thought they were going to kill each other before I realized that nope, that was fertilization instead. (And I still thought Mighty Man was going to kill any male within claw distance he was being so dominate.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Lasuna

Post by Lasuna » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:41 pm

wodesorel wrote: That would be me. And it was a shock. But they were given natural temperatures and high humidity, and about 12 inches of peat moss and sand substrate to molt in. It was natural, it was just barren.

Crabs will travel in packs, and they will often climb all over each other and try to chase each other out of shells they may want. The differences between mating and shell fighting is basically nothing until you actually see them fertilizing eggs. Having been lucky enough to watch and film an actual mating this year, I was nearly at the point where I thought they were going to kill each other before I realized that nope, that was fertilization instead. (And I still thought Mighty Man was going to kill any male within claw distance he was being so dominate.)
Yeah, the natural temp an dhigh humidity is what I mean, the barrenness doesn't really matter, since in the wild they will spend a portion of their time on a beach where the only terrain is sand and a few rocks scattered about ya know? As for the eggs Wode found, I was always a bit curious if the females would have eggs despite not being fertilized. Like lizards you know?
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una