2 to go!!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
SammieLee

2 to go!!

Post by SammieLee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:21 am

Had another crab change from a painted shell!! As soon as he walked away I took it after what happened last time.....one a crab changed from a painted shell and then another crab took his shell :/

Our first crab that left his painted shell was playing shell swapping today and I got to watch it with my kids!! It was so cool to watch! My kids are having so much fun trying to keep track of the crabs as they change shells! Wonder how long they will be able to keep up? Since we don't have names for them. We called them by the pic on there shell.....now I just started calling them all crabbie :)

2 more painted shells to get....and one buried this afternoon. Hopefully I can get the last 2 soon!

Just had to share!

How can I figure out what kind of crabs we I have? I just got them at a local pet store. I have seen so many post about different kind of crabs that I have started wondering.

patchouliii

Re: 2 to go!!

Post by patchouliii » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:38 am

Good riddance!I just had two in painted shells switch two! The paint was chipped and peeling. This site is helpful:

http://coenobitaspecies.com/clypeatus.htm
Crabbiopolis est. 2010.
Population: 30% Clypeatus, 25% Brevimanus, 25% Compressus, 20% Violascens.
http://s1265.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... i/library/

Headmistress of a half a dozen +1 breech-ling (human eggs)

sontron

Post by sontron » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 am

It's great that they are changing out of their painted shells!Anyways, here is a link to a side-by-side comparison of the different species.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/pages/species.jpg
The sheet is a bit dated, sorry :/

scientific names-common names
C. Rugosus-Ruggy
C. Compresus-Ecuadorian
C. Perlatus-Strawberry
C. Cavipes-I am pretty sure that this one is a viola
C. Brevimanus-Indonesian
C. Clypeatus-Carribean or Purple Pincher
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

Yuka

Post by Yuka » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:12 am

If you got it from a pet store, there's a preeeeetty good chance that they're purple pinchers. Check their big claws. Are they a nice purple and their eyes are round dots? Those are pretty standard signs that it's a PP lol
6 Eccentric Es 8 Placid PPs 2 Stunning Straws 2 Intrepid Indos
3 cats: Maya, Hamish and Nala
4 crested geckos: Treeko, Widget, Chloe and Pickle 1 corn snake: Lola

crabbycolony

Post by crabbycolony » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:16 am

thats great!!! I bought 3 with painted shells because i felt bad for them (my first 3) and they all changed shells! One dug down in to a molt with a shell so i was scared for her but she dug back up and changed shells right away, so don't worry. you can even put a bunch of shells on the ground and step back a little and one might go shell shopping right in front of you. mine didn't even seem to care i was there!!!
7 PP's:
Houdini (my little escape artist)
Itsy (who isn't so bitsy)
Rex (ROOOOOAAAARRR)
little guy (creative right)
Seuss
Squirt
Fredward (......)

And one dog:
Cinnamon [Girl shih tzu+yorkie+bichon frise]

Topic author
SammieLee

Post by SammieLee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 pm

I am pretty sure 3 of the 4 are pp's but one is colored different. I would take a picture but it's the one that is buried. But here is a picture i took a few days ago.

He is a little redder than the others.

Here is one of the others.

And another one. :)

The last one is camra shy. Will not let me hold him and take his picture but he looks like the last 2. I guess I need to take pictures of them in the new shells.

The 2 that have changed shells are now in shells that look a like so we can't not tell them apart at all. An the plus side my husband is starting to like the crabs :) he told me not to call them crabbie but to call them all hermie.

Cassafrass1999

Post by Cassafrass1999 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:04 pm

I am pretty sure they are they are PP's. :)
I am a proud owner of five hermies named Leopard (PP), Ribbon (PP), Kremer (PP), Queenie (PP), and Sunny (E). I have been crabbing since 6/16/11, and have been loving and learning so much about them ever since! My family and I also own a husky, a cat, and a bunch of freshwater fish.

Topic author
SammieLee

Post by SammieLee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Cassafrass1999 wrote:I am pretty sure they are they are PP's. :)
That's what I figured....I was just wondering because one was colored a little different. When I bought them I didn't known there were different kinds so I had to know for sure. :)

StephBaby

Post by StephBaby » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:15 pm

They look like pp's to me. Try soaking your extra shells in salt water. As soon as i did that one of mine changed from his.painted shell. I have one more to get into a.natural shell but she is.new.so it.might be a while
Owner of 3 pp's Herman, Mya 2 and Midori.
NINE SUCCESSFUL MOLTS!!!!!
Crabbing since June 2011