If I won the lottery..

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Rocky

If I won the lottery..

Post by Rocky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:43 am

I saw wolf mention it so I thought I'd start this game 8) I'm in need of a little pick me up so I thought something fun was in order!
If you won the lottery, what would you do?
Personally I'd put a big chunk into a funding program for people who can't afford vet care, then I'd donate big chunks to the shelters around here and the science center. I'd put a chunk away for my own vet bills and then the rest would go to building my favorite reptile rescue a new turtle pond.
I'd probably also get myself this big poofy scary on etsy I've been eyeing
I'd probably fix my dads roof if the winnings were good
Not because I'm a suck up to the Internet, but because I just don't need anything for myself :shrug:
What about you? :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

neverland

Re: If I won the lottery..

Post by neverland » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 am

I play this game in my mind a lot. My charity of choice is always Heifer International. Its a great organization that helps people to help themselves. There is also a website (that will go unnamed) dedicated to my favorite crustaceans that could use more exposure. I'd love to drive by a billboard directing people to a certain webpage with correct care information.
For myself. . . I would pay off my boys college loans and then disappear into the deep woods for a good long while. I do miss my cabin in the trees and I really need some quiet time. My bucket list contains goals of seeing the Northern Lights, petting a live tiger and kayaking on the Amazon (not all at the same time) so I would travel a bit.
I believe in Neptune

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:25 am

Same here. It passes the time when things are bleak. I'm always thinking Mega Millions and not local lottery though. :)

First thing would be to buy/build a huge house out in the country. I've got the entire floor plan in my head, and it includes a 3,000 gallon indoor freshwater fish pond for rescued giant species that displays to both the living room and foyer, a giant critter room, and a greenhouse off the living room for my hermit crabs. The rest of the house would be built to be turned into a Bed & Breakfast, because I think someday I'd like to do that, and it would make having guests over easy. 8 bed and baths on the second floor. Third floor would be the a full apartment for us. There'd be a two story library, a gym, an indoor pool and a private conservatory on the roof. The cats would get an entire acre (possibly two) outside with stone walls and protective screening over top and filled with jungle gyms and small trees and bushes. The basement would have giant play rooms (and they'd have run of the house, too) along with an area that could individually cage them all in the event of a medical emergency and it would be set up like a vet's office so we could just bring in a housecall vet rather than have to transport the cats out. (Can you tell what I hate about having cats? :lol: ) There'd be a couple of mulit-cat isolation rooms as well for anything that came up or for possible future fosters.

Outside I'd have a breeding facility for hermit crabs. (Oh yeah, got that all planned out, too. Wave machine! ;) ) Tennis courts, outdoor pool, two guest cottages, giant 6 car garage. Big work studio with tons of windows for building vivs and furniture and possibly cars. Maybe even a separate cottage for baking so there's no contamination from the cats. There'd be greenhouses down near the front of the property and I'd probably have plant sales every year to support local charities. There'd be a ginormous raised garden for veggies for us. (I have a lot of interests. :lol: ) On the other side of the property (because I'm deadly allergic) I'd build horse barns and have them maintained for some good local horse & large animal rescue. I've always wanted to look out the window and see herds of horses running around and playing and we'd have so much property (old corn fields) that we could do it.

Beyond that... Pay off my mom's house. (She'd never have to worry about retirement either.) Buy houses and cover student loans for a few friends. Big amount to the local charity who assists people with vet bills. The HCA would never have to worry about funding anymore either. We'd probably put most of what was left into starting our own animal shelter somewhere nearby, not just for cats and dogs but also for rodents and lizards and birds as well.

So yeah, not all that detailed. :hlol:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:45 am

Everyone plays this game in their head :)

I'd do the whole build your own house thing, then start our own business that you work on your own time etc. Or maybe start a few and have friends run them. I think just being able to spent time with friends and family would be the biggest benefit out of it.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 am

I play this in my head sometimes. Mostly my plans are helping my family. I have one sister who works extremely hard but never can seem to get ahead. She's first on the list.

AppleJack

Post by AppleJack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:58 pm

My husband and I love to play this game!

Taking care of all bills, debt, retirement, etc... is the first course of action, but that's not very interesting or glamorous. Then take care of the kids education and set aside money for a house down payment for them. In my dream there is money enough to give my extended family as well.

I guess what I most want to do is spread the wealth, donating to causes important to me. So, money to the local women's shelter that I worked at for years, a good chunk to Cystic Fibrosis Canada ( a good friend of mine just had a double lung transplant, she's only 28 and has CF), a no-kill animal shelter that has provided my family with several fantastic dogs, and finally the arts & crafts society to which I belong so they don't have to worry about staying afloat.

Then it's all about me (and my husband, of course)!
I'd love to have a cabin in the Rockies, nothing fancy, and one back home on the west coast of Newfoundland as well. Our primary residence would be beachfront in Mexico, although while we're still in good health we'd travel. There are so many places on my list, too many to put here! After reading Wode's B&B description, I would love to stay there!!
When we're finally exhausted from seeing the world, we'll retire to our beach and I'd set up my pottery studio in view of the ocean and sell my work to tourists at a cost recovery price only. I'm not sure what my husband would do with his time, but it will probably involve puttering around fixing things. Of course there will be animals, dogs and cats, maybe an aviary. And I'd keep bees and two goats, and maybe chickens.
I'm not sure if I'd have hermit crab pets, hopefully there's be a small colony on our beach! :cloud9:

LucasBinx

Post by LucasBinx » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:25 pm

I'd buy an Arabian horse and ranch :love9: I have never owned horses, but they are my true passion. I'd probably start a small breeding and show program. I'd also set some aside to finish off school(Equine Science~)and for kids I don't even have yet. But pretty much I would use the money to start my dreams with the Arabian horse.

EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:57 pm

My brother and I always play this game. I would start off with paying my parents back for what they have already payed for my college and then pay off the rest of mt schooling. Then I would buy 500 or so acres on the ozarks of Missouri, somewhere in washington county. I would build a giant house that has a indoor pool, a gym and a basketball court and a indoor soccer field. It would have a prayer hall and two tanks, a giant freshwater tank and a giant saltwater reef tank. I would build a sturdy and giant hermit tat with 20 of each species. I would also have a critter room and a hermit breeding room. I would of course have a bunch of cats aswell. I would have a game room with games for all ps consoles and some Nintendo consoles. I would also have my own dojo. Now for the outside. I would have a tennis court, a soccer field, a basketball court, and a outdoor pool with a waterfall.Then I would have some acres set aside for my chickens, ducks, geese, pheasant, turkeys, quail, guineas, goats, sheep, horses, and cows. I would also have tortoise pens and green houses for my torts. I would then have my own kennal with my hunting dogs and herding and guarding dogs. The rest of the land will be set aside for restoration of the natural ecosystem so that it can sustain Missouri's native fuana and flora.
Then I would have a house in Bosnia. Not a small house but still modest.
Then I would set aside money for my bills and needs, and my childrens' early needs like geting their first houses and stuff.
Now for charities and organizations.
First I would donate money to a charity that helps those who were effected by the war in Bosnia. Then to a charity that helps the Palestinian people.
Next charity would be project downtown wich helps feed poverty stricken people in the downtown area of St. Louis.
Then I would give to local groups that rescue pitbulls. (We have a problem in St. Louis).
The rest would be saved and given away to extended family.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Pyre Shep Nina,GSD Balotelli,30 Purple Pinchers,1 Red Foot Tortoise,1 Russian Tortoise,7 Rabbits,4 Ruggies,3 Indos,3 Strawberries,16 Aussies,1 Reeves Turtle,one 20 gal Mollie Tank,two 5 gal nano freshwater planted tanks with Bettas,one 29 Gal Freshwater Tank,2 Guppy/Mystery Snail breeder tanks

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 am

I probably too young, but hey - I still a dreamer! :P

I give a bit of it to my parents, after all, they been caring for me for the last 15 years! :)
But then, after that, I wouldn't touch it at least for a month - after i read this book about what to do if you win tax....
Then, I looking into getting a nice house - ohh, like the "Cullen's" house in Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn... I totally love the house - and of course, move to forks to build this dreamer, the locals taste too good!!!!! :twisted:

Anyway, I if I do move to forks, I have to take my hermies with me, so this involves some smuggling! ;) But of course, I bring a few extras (like 10 - 20) with me to share with you guys and just in case aus never shares there good looking crabs! And since LOVE PP's, I have to get some, so that means a nice sized tank! Around about (LxWxH) 12ft x 2ft x 3ft but 2ft of the total length would be going to the pools - of course! :D

I look into building a nice sized fish tank(s), maybe a large amazonian blackwater tank housing angels, corys, hatchlets, colombian tetras and bristlenoses then the other tank would be large (again) which would house be a loach tank (clowns, kuhlies, zebras, yoyo) with some scissortails or some type of rasbora!

I would like to get a few ferret nation cages - just 2 so I can join them together - and get some ferrets (fuzzbuts!) I always like fuzzbuts, they to cute even though they mini trex's!!! :lol:

Then (this is my last "demand") i would like to build an aviary which would house show budgies, king quails and bourke parrots!

Otherwise, I think thats about it - if i got alot left over, I see if I can pay a vamp to bite me so i could have a chance of winning again! haha, if you got forever, then there is a high chance of winning tax all over again! :hlol:

No, I definitely not greedy! 8)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Crabby_bear
Location: I /want/ to be on St. Johns island during the hermit migration

Post by Crabby_bear » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:22 pm

I would first tithe James River Church, and a homeless shelter. I have really wanted to be able to give to the homeless to help them during the winter to help them stay warm.
Then I would buy my Family their dream home in TN. About 5,000 sq. ft. with a pool and home gym.
I would also make a green house attached had I the house for the crabs. I would also buy a Mac Pro with maxed out specs and 4 4K monitors and a Red Epic Camera or two. I think the final thing I would do would to build a film studio for myself and Monitogo Studios.
The rest would go into savings.
For a rainy day so I could block out the clouds with a shield made by my scientists.
Just Kidding. XD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My crabs are
The Doctor (or Matt Smith) - Small PP
Mo - Medium PP
Tulia - Medium PP

I'm also owned by a Pitbull-lab mix named Bella.

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:34 pm

First, at least 30 percent would go to charity. Then, I would buy a dream house on the beach. I would create a huge reptile room in my house with a ginormous crabitat and every species of crab. :crabbigsmile: I would invest a lot of it in the bank for interest. I would also give like $20k to each of my family members. Oh, and I would donate a lot to this website of course. :D Any extra I had would be fun money and charity.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

aceblade

Post by aceblade » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I'd pay off debt and take a nice, long vacation some place hot.
Oooo, and then go looking for crabbies in the wild.
:o

Avery

Post by Avery » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:32 pm

I would fund fund marine science projects, and start a learning center here that catered to kids/adults who were interested in biology and science, specifically. I would buy a boat and use that as a class room vessel, as well as turn it out for weekend adventure groups, like scuba and open ocean excursions. I would also like to start a large plot of property as a "garden", so I could grow and sell my goods at Farmers Markets all over.
Of course my sons college would be paid, the rest of my college would be paid, and I would get out from under my house. I'd buy a boat for myself, and turn that into my home. :D

I think that these dreams are pretty modest... :D

P.S. I dont EVER play this game because it's much like window shopping, in my opinion, it hurts. I can't get it, I can't hold it, I can't make it happen. But, for this very moment, I thought I might indulge in a little fantasy.
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

HermitMickey00

Post by HermitMickey00 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:22 pm

This is the game I play in my head when I'm bored in class :D (Just kidding... Maybe.)
I actually love my house at the moment, so that wouldn't change. I'd make our barn larger and buy more of the acres behind it (we own about 14 at our barn, the rest behind is corn fields). I'd put horse trails all out on those acres, and get some cows, make more room for our two Nigerian Dwarf Goats and get some more (THEY'RE THE BEST!), get a better chicken coop and some "lady friends" (AKA Hens) for our rooster named Papa Chicken :) .
I'd build a big temperature controlled shack thingy at the back of the acres for crabs and my bts. And I could get ALL the reptiles I want because they would be faaaar away from mom :D
Proud owner of:
Two GORGEOUS PP's- Speedy and Spotty
Two OUTSTANDING E's- Panda and Mickey Mouse

Martina

Post by Martina » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:35 pm

I would pay back my student loans and my medical bills. Then I'd pay for myself and my roommate/best friend to break this lease and move into a house. I would also buy LOTS of costuming supplies and such (I am a burlesque performer). I'd donate some of it in my Mom's name to the Hospice place where she died, and probably some to a place for children of vets who are having issues with PTSD.