I go hard for my hermit crab's.......

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
kittyluvcrabby2113

I go hard for my hermit crab's.......

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:56 pm

This game is where you tell us what you did for your hermit crab or what you would do for them that was a little more then beyond the ordinary .... be funny, snobby, or use our imagination ..... Lets gooooo :banana: :banana: :hlol: :hlol:

I go hard for my hermit crab *Minnie* I walk the long beach for miles to find her the perfect shell, her favorite color "green"with a pearl tone. I was disappointed when I couldn't find it. so I just order her a $30 perfect shell from ebay and it came today******** I luv my Minnie* :D
Yours Truly Kitty / Mother of 2 Beautiful Girls & Crab Mommy To 10 PURPLE PINCHERS ******* Minnie & Mickey, Tiny tot, BIG Homie, Woody, Fresh, Pacc, Ray, Creeper, & Grip ****
RIP_ Handy & Star mommy will always miss you :(
********* Yaaay I just Got Engaged 07/25/2013

Avery

Re: I go hard for my hermit crab's.......

Post by Avery » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:57 pm

I have climbed the side of banks, hills, and mountains to reach that perfect branch full of yummy leaves.

I have waded thigh deep in the Pacific Ocean for those beautiful blades of seaweed that just wouldnt ebb up to me soon enough.

I have shuffled around marine organisms that were in the way of me getting to that HUGE clam shell.

I have thrown my back out TWICE replacing 300 lbs. of EE and sand. (Bedridden by way of substrate!)

I have driven 3 ½ hours to get to the best foraging spots in the rain forest here in my state. (yes, we have rain forest, and I didn’t take anything that I knew I couldn’t harvest! Always make sure before you harvest! But the BEST experiences EVER!)

I have become master of tide pooling!

I am the crazy lady picking up all the crab exo that the ocean spits out on the beach a couple times a year, miles and miles of walking!

I have lost thousands of hours of sleep in order to catch my most nocturnal LHC’s in action.

I have driven hundreds of hours in total, to adopt a crab who needed a loving home.
Last edited by Avery on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:08 am

Avery wrote:I have climbed the side of banks, hills, and mountains to reach that perfect branch full of yummy leaves.

I have waded thigh deep in the Pacific Ocean for those beautiful blades of seaweed that just would ebb up to me soon enough.

I have shuffled around marine organisms that were in the way of me getting to that HUGE clam shell.

I have thrown my back out TWICE replacing 300 lbs. of EE and sand. (Bedridden by way of substrate!)

I have driven 3 ½ hours to get to the best foraging spots in the rain forest here in my state. (yes, we have rain forest, and I didn’t take anything that I knew I couldn’t harvest! Always make sure before you harvest! But the BEST experiences EVER!)

I am the crazy lady picking up all the crab exo that the ocean spits out on the beach a couple times a year, miles and miles of walking!

I have lost thousands of hours of sleep in order to catch my most nocturnal LHC’s in action.

I have driven hundreds of hours in total, to adopt a crab who needed a loving home.
One word to sum up how I feel about your post.... LOL
:hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol:
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
kittyluvcrabby2113

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am

LOl if there would be a winner it would be *Avery*
she went beyond for her hermies ..... :banana:
Yours Truly Kitty / Mother of 2 Beautiful Girls & Crab Mommy To 10 PURPLE PINCHERS ******* Minnie & Mickey, Tiny tot, BIG Homie, Woody, Fresh, Pacc, Ray, Creeper, & Grip ****

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:17 am

Avery wrote:I have climbed the side of banks, hills, and mountains to reach that perfect branch full of yummy leaves.

I have waded thigh deep in the Pacific Ocean for those beautiful blades of seaweed that just would ebb up to me soon enough.

I think I got you beat!

I will search through beaches for barnicals and coral (I have soo many sun burns from this)

I will go into the bush to collect wild fruit for my crabs

I will touch icky, bug covered roses and other flowers just to collect petals (I wash them before serving)

I wash 4 bags of sand, and prepaire TEN bricks of EE just for digging

I spend lots of time at flea markets for the perfect crab climbing piece

I find a use for EVERYTHING.

I go to the store practically daily for fruits (everyday of the week, and twice on sundays).

I climb up TREES to pick branches and leaves for the crabbies

I have to smell the oders of silicone, wood stain, fresh moss, burnt plastic (whoops!) and many other oders, to create the perfect tank, tank lid, and in general, TANK.

.... shall I go on?
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

kuza

Post by kuza » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:57 am

Does 3-4 hours a day of water changes, prepping water, feeding, cleaning jars, finding tiny shells, hatching live shrimp, building multiple tanks for going on 23 days in a row now, count as going hard?

Of course this is on top of everything I've done for the mama and papa crabs... I think I'm losing it!

Topic author
kittyluvcrabby2113

Post by kittyluvcrabby2113 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:20 am

kuza wrote:Does 3-4 hours a day of water changes, prepping water, feeding, cleaning jars, finding tiny shells, hatching live shrimp, building multiple tanks for going on 23 days in a row now, count as going hard?

Of course this is on top of everything I've done for the mama and papa crabs... I think I'm losing it!

Stay strong you can do it..... :D
You is really going super hard for the crabs I bet they really really love you for that to.....

Scarlz

Post by Scarlz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:42 am

I have spent countless hours in the heat and rain on my family farm harvesting crops as well as in the woods. I also inspect and process everything I harvest by hand. I also hand crochet nets. When I go to the river, I collect crab exos. I will go specifically to yard sales and flea markets to search for things for the crabs.
I do everything I do while working a two full time jobs(No joke) and a job on the weekend.

Avery

Post by Avery » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm

kuza wrote:Does 3-4 hours a day of water changes, prepping water, feeding, cleaning jars, finding tiny shells, hatching live shrimp, building multiple tanks for going on 23 days in a row now, count as going hard?

Yeah, I think Kuza takes the cake here this season! He "goes hard" in one season compared to what I do all year round! :D

:cheer: Kuza... "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.." :D
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde)
Human mom to: Straws, PP's, Indos, Violas, E's, Goldfish, Julii Cory Cat's, dogs, cats & a teenager

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm sure any one of you would give it a go if they got lucky like I did. :)

Bigdaddypincher

Post by Bigdaddypincher » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 pm

I go hard 4 my hermit crabs they got there own radio right beside there crabitat to play rainforest/ocean sounds. :hlol: :hlol:
Sticky... Leaf... Gumby... Twitch 4 Very Large PPs

Priya

Post by Priya » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 am

You people are nuts :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol:

but umm who am I kidding?! The entire time I'm home alone, it's spent by the tank. I feed them better and healthier than I feed my husband & I. It's 1:00 am, I have to get up early in the morning tomorrow (hello Monday!)..and am sitting here by the tank, watching one of them eat! I keep the room as dark as possible after sunset (when everyone else turns on the lights at their home :hlol: ) so they don't feel confused about whether it's day or night :lol: Setting up the tank easily cost me over $300 (a lot of it went into shells) and I spent a long time doing it. Never spent so much time or gave so much effort into anything :shock:

Except for the fake plants, glass pools and plastic caddies, everything else is natural. After spending over a month here doing research, I made sure their home is as CLOSE to nature as possible. No skimping out on anything, specially care! If I lived by the ocean, I'd probably walk miles after miles collecting shells for them. I would have LOVED doing that! :D And I stole flowers to feed them (safe flowers) :anon:

I'm sure our crabs appreciate it :D
4 Purple Pinchers: Kraken, Lilith, Gilgamesh, Marilith
1 Straw: Tiamat
55g tank with about 10" playsand & EE substrate, fw bubbler pool, sw pool. Densely "planted" with cholla, cork barks and upper levels.

AppleJack

Post by AppleJack » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:58 am

Priya wrote:You people are nuts :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol: :hlol:

but umm who am I kidding?! The entire time I'm home alone, it's spent by the tank. I feed them better and healthier than I feed my husband & I. It's 1:00 am, I have to get up early in the morning tomorrow (hello Monday!)..and am sitting here by the tank, watching one of them eat! I keep the room as dark as possible after sunset (when everyone else turns on the lights at their home :hlol: ) so they don't feel confused about whether it's day or night :lol: Setting up the tank easily cost me over $300 (a lot of it went into shells) and I spent a long time doing it. Never spent so much time or gave so much effort into anything :shock:

Except for the fake plants, glass pools and plastic caddies, everything else is natural. After spending over a month here doing research, I made sure their home is as CLOSE to nature as possible. No skimping out on anything, specially care! If I lived by the ocean, I'd probably walk miles after miles collecting shells for them. I would have LOVED doing that! :D And I stole flowers to feed them (safe flowers) :anon:

I'm sure our crabs appreciate it :D

Priya! I've been exactly the same. :D My husband thinks I've gone insane, says I'm crab crazy. I get up in the middle of the night just to see what's happening in the tank, I try to make life as comfortable for them as possible and I spend way too much time "researching" which is basically just watching hermit crab videos on YouTube. I had one resurface during the night after a molt and I was almost late for work this morning because I spent too much time watching him pig out!!

HermitMickey00

Post by HermitMickey00 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:56 pm

Well,
Preparing for straws years before because you can never be to prepared!
Having a custom calendar with my crab pictures that I use to count down the days till they're up from a molt.
Making an all you can eat buffet when they first come up from molts (literally, 15 half clam shells lined up against the wall with mixtures and snacks)
Having a fellow crab lover melting pot worker save you their raw, unseasoned meat and such and getting a good sized Tupperware bin every once in a while when you go!
Proud owner of:
Two GORGEOUS PP's- Speedy and Spotty
Two OUTSTANDING E's- Panda and Mickey Mouse

HandyHermits

Post by HandyHermits » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:18 am

lets see...
when i go to the beatch,every shell and crab exo goes into my pockets
i dropped my new 55 gal on my foot
i did the same thing with a couple of bricks to elevate the tank while it was on the floor
And i got a nasty infecton in a cut on my foot, caused by me wading out into the ocean to get a clam shell and scratching my foot on a barnacle incrusted rock
yeah, my feet suffer for the crabs.
4 pps Speedy(F),Houdini(M),,Switcher(M), and Harry Potter(M) (R.I.P Sheldon and S.J)

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"