Help! Heat down to 72

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

MgnB

Re: Help! Heat down to 72

Post by MgnB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Me too. Maybe try covering with more than tin foil. Tin foil never works for me because it moves to much and I couldn't tape it down because I needed to lift the lid to feed and clean.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:56 pm

I hope someone with absolute insulating success can correct me if i'm wrong here. This is my understanding of insulating:
The tin foil needs to be closest to the heater. The aluminum gets heated by the heater and spreads or magnifies/reflects the heat. Then you use the styrofoam or cardboard to trap the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Your right, it's a two part system lol
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:09 pm

I have used moonglo and infrared lights. Both of them work well, and the moonglo does really create a nice moon light. If you want something that will last, though, I would go with a ceramic heat emitter. They are obviously a little more expensive, but I got a 150w for about $23, and they last MUCH longer than incandescents and the such. :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Post by grandlinegirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:20 am

YYWW wrote:I hope someone with absolute insulating success can correct me if i'm wrong here. This is my understanding of insulating:
The tin foil needs to be closest to the heater. The aluminum gets heated by the heater and spreads or magnifies/reflects the heat. Then you use the styrofoam or cardboard to trap the heat.

That is exactly what I have :) Tinfoil right over the heater, then cardboard on top of the tinfoil (insulated with more tinfoil on top of it!) and then styofoam on top of that.
I have used moonglo and infrared lights. Both of them work well, and the moonglo does really create a nice moon light. If you want something that will last, though, I would go with a ceramic heat emitter. They are obviously a little more expensive, but I got a 150w for about $23, and they last MUCH longer than incandescents and the such.
Thank you! I did pick up a ceramic heat emitter at a hardware store and a moonglo bulb. It seems to have helped! I'm now sitting at 79-80 :) The only annoyance is that I have to keep the bulb on 24/7 to keep the tank heated and it definitely keeps me up at night since the tank is right next to my bed and I'm used to sleeping in pitch black. Worth it though!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:59 am

Glad it worked out! Hope you dont lose too much sleep from it

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:35 am

Oh yes, like Jarteta97 suggested, ceramic heat emitters are another option, if the moon glo is bothering you. I often forget about them because I've never used one.