Live plants and substrate

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

soilentgringa

Re: Live plants and substrate

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't know if this really counts as having live plants in the crabitat, but I read somewhere recently that you can plant chia seeds in the 'tat and they like to nibble on them. We stuck some in the sand and are waiting to see if they sprout. I also don't know how the salt content in the sand would affect plants...but then again you have a ton of marine/beach plants you could choose from as well if they're safe.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Many thanks, wodesorel, for the clarification and the "OK" update for those three common plants. If they can't harm the crabs and the crabs won't eat them, it sounds like a win-win to use them as decor/hides/climbing items.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:03 pm

The biggest barrier for growing plants in a crab tank, believe it or not, is light. Now, many people think, "Hey, I have plenty of light!". This issue isn't the amount, but rather the specific color temperature, measured in Kelvin, of each light bulb. To grow plants, you need a range of about 5700K - 6500K. A lot of lights aren't even close to this range. The plants will slowly wither and die if not supplemented with this range of light.

The second issue is soil. Some plants, like pothos or snake plants, are hardy and can handle a soil like eco earth. The majority of plants, however, require a more nutrient-rich, "live" soil. The most common one used in the frog hobby, as I'm sure you know Penguin ;) is ABG mix, which stands for Atlanta Botanical Garden. The issue is that this soil is fast draining, and not sufficiently compact for molting. The best option, IMO, would be using air plants, such as bromeliads or tillandsias. I eventually may attempt this, as I have a pupping bromeliad in my American Green Tree Frog Vivarium right now :).

I'm sure you know some of this Penguin if you have a PDF tank (which I would love to see :)), but it's nice to let as many people know as possible. I hoped that answered some questions :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...