Setting up a corner tank

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

YYWW

Re: Setting up a corner tank

Post by YYWW » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:32 am

2" apart is pretty close together. How many pieces of PVC did you end up using for your whole base?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:04 am

My tank is a 20 gAllon long, and the piece of pvc I bought was 2 feet long, and I had about 4" left over (the end of the tank where the pools are don't have pvc under them ). Without looking (I am not at home), I believe there are 5 rows across, with 4 pieces in each row.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 am

Ok that is a lot in a 20 long. I can imagine it holding up now.

I wonder how many supports a larger tank would require for it to hold though? In that case, it may be worth ordering the egg crate even if it costs a little extra or using the hydroton clay. ?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 am

I agree, a larger tank also contains more inches of sub, so a denser network of support is required.

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Yeah, I guess it makes sense that only plastic canvas can hold the weight with more pvc as compensation :)

I actually found something that looks very similiar to egg crate that will order if I can't find it in any store. It's black instead of white, but that should'nt matter I guess :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PP: Paras(♀)
3 Ruggies: Ruby, Donatello (♀), Mogis (♂)
3 Violas: Splinter, Luke, Luna (♂)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:43 pm

cHorse wrote: I actually found something that looks very similiar to egg crate that will order if I can't find it in any store. It's black instead of white, but that should'nt matter I guess :D
Awesome! I hope you'll share pics when it's all done. :)

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:30 pm

CallaLily wrote: Awesome! I hope you'll share pics when it's all done. :)
Of course! It will take a while, but I'll update this thread with the progress :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:30 pm

I saw that black eggcrate too! As long as its not too expensive, and isnt painted, itll be fine.

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:10 pm

So, I've started with my false bottom now.

I'm trying to saw the PVC with a hand saw... which is kinda hard lol. And it does'nt get completely even. Is it important that the PVC is on the very same level, or is it okay that it differs with a milimeter or two? I will put them quite close together.

I also kinda.. stole.. this thing from my boyfriend too (heey, he was'nt using it :lol: ), which I think will be awesome in the crabitat! :crabbigsmile:

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:06 pm

That column is adorable!! It will be put to good use!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:18 am

Love the column!

I cut my pvc with a hand held jigsaw. It was fast and easy.

Can't wait to see more!

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks! I love it too :D

Alright, then I'll continue sawing them this way :)

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:55 pm

False bottom done! That was some hard work, I don't want to do another false bottom ever in my life lol! My hands are full of blisters, and unfortunately my floor was lost in the process. There is only PVC dust now, everywhere. :shock:

Now, I'm not sure about the plactic canvas. I have wrapped the fabric thingy twice around the egg crate, so it's fabric x2, 1 cm egg crate and then fabric x2 again. The crabs should be able to tear the first layers of fabric, but will they really be able to reach the second layer under the egg crate?
Does anyone here have a false bottom without plastic canvas that is'nt leaking substrate? I would be happy if I can avoid the canvas thing.

Yaaay it's done!

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:56 pm

I have an American Green Tree Frog Vivarium with a false bottom. I have two layer of screening on the false bottom, and that keeps the ABG mix I have in it from falling into the water.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah, I'm sure it will hold the substrate in place on it's own, though I don't know if the crabs "claws" will torn the fabric. I guess the tree frogs don't dig, or do they? :)