Setting up a corner tank

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

jarteta97

Re: Setting up a corner tank

Post by jarteta97 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Haha, no they don't dig. If they did I would be worried. I have heard of crabs ripping through, so I would recommend using the needlepoint canvas. You can get it at craft stores or online if you don't already have it. :D
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:38 am

Right, I didn't think so lol, but I don't know much about frogs :D

Yeah I guess I should get some canvas. Trying to avoid it cuz apparently it's not something people use in Sweden, so it's hard to find here :o
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PP: Paras(♀)
3 Ruggies: Ruby, Donatello (♀), Mogis (♂)
3 Violas: Splinter, Luke, Luna (♂)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:37 am

Any similar material that is more resistant to their claws yet allows water to drain through should work (and of course, make sure it's crab safe).
I don't have any on mine and there are a few places substrate has leaked through but it's not like it's all pouring out. Eventually of course the weed block will tear more and need to be completely replaced. But I think that will hold true even if the crabs can't get to it.

Topic author
cHorse

Post by cHorse » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:26 am

So, the last couple of days I've been busy putting in all the substrate (that was some tough work!) and started decorating. I will probably rearrange quite a lot before I put the hermits in lol...

The UTH I bought was kind of unneccesary, it's freaking hot in there! 86F under the lights, 83F by the side. I didn't think the lights would be very hot, as they're aquarium lights. I'll look into some other lights in the future anyways, cause these are just too blueish. I guess I'll just turn off the UTH for now lol.

On saturday Im going to a reptile fair, and I hope to find some hermit crabs there. Otherwise I will have to order from a pet store, and in that case I will get C. Brevimanus :)

The only thing left to do now is put some plants in, another water dish and rearrange like a hundred times. I hope I have'nt forgot anything... :banana:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 PP: Paras(♀)
3 Ruggies: Ruby, Donatello (♀), Mogis (♂)
3 Violas: Splinter, Luke, Luna (♂)

crabmommy

Post by crabmommy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 am

YYWW wrote:I think 4 will be ok Image just make sure you have plenty of hiding and climbing space. I think if you have stuff stick into the sub, like sticks and rods, you increase desireable digging places because crabs like to dig by structures like trees and walls. I like to give my Es lots of things to hide behind underground to prevent any "misunderstandings."
YYWW--thanks for this tip about sticking things into the substrate. I was thinking of doing this to support a second level, but I was afraid the crabs wouldn't like stuff in their way. I know that anything wooden has the potential to rot, so I'll try to figure out something plastic or PVC. Thanks again! Image

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:25 am

happy crabbing!

Crabbers unite!!!

AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:47 pm

There is a lot of discussion in this post about a false bottom in terrarium . What is the purpose of a false bottom?
Mum to 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rats and 6 hermies in our CrabiFrat (a fraternity of little greek crabs wearing togas).

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:03 pm

AcerCrab wrote:There is a lot of discussion in this post about a false bottom in terrarium . What is the purpose of a false bottom?
To prevent substrate flooding which can lead to bacterial blooms and cause serious issues for molting crabs. They're not a necessity and it's still a new idea in the world of crabbing. They can provide peace of mind, especially for crabbers who use foggers/humidifiers or have built in pools.

AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks, having read about people having floods and leaking pools I wondered if that was what the false bottom was used for.
Mum to 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rats and 6 hermies in our CrabiFrat (a fraternity of little greek crabs wearing togas).