Long time no see! 105 gallon questions

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
beccaviolett

Long time no see! 105 gallon questions

Post by beccaviolett » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:14 am

Hi everyone, been a long time since I've been on here, my 105 gallon tank has been overrun with mites (the harmless ones; none on the crabs just in the tank) I have started a deep clean and was wondering how I should go about disinfecting cholla wood, and other wood climbing objects? TIA lovely people
14 PP's; Shortcake, MacBeth, Itsy, Spazz, and 9 unamed babies!
7 Es; berry, sandy, lauderdale & cream
RIP; Joules De Lorian, Chum Lee, Santa, 2 unnamed Es
1 Kitty; Lynx
2 Rats; Mocha and Vanilla

YYWW

Re: Long time no see! 105 gallon questions

Post by YYWW » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Harmless mites should only appear on the surface, and not bury much deeper than 1-3 inches. A complete redo of the sub shouldnt be necessary.
You can prob "deactivate" wood stuff by flushing with hot tap water and then baking it dry in an oven. I also like to line everything up in a trashbag, pouring in a gallon of SW, and then twisting it tight to give it a good SW soak, which helps combat mold.
Crabbers are also known to spot clean food remains more often until the mites population dwindles.
I have been wondering, a layer of vaseline around the rim of the tank has been used to stop ants, would that thwart mites as well?

Crabbers unite!!!