Heat heat heat!!!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
courtbri

Heat heat heat!!!

Post by courtbri » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi guys. I'm having a little trouble keeping my temps up. I have a 40 gal long with 2 XL heat pads on the back above substrate level plus a small one on the side. I'm also using tin foil all around and on top as well as foam insulation. I'm just below 80. I bought a nighttime heat bulb. It's a 75 watt black nightlight incandescent. It heats it up but sucks the humidity out of the tank. I don't generally have humidity issues. Any ideas? My crabs are still active but I just want it warmer- a consistent 80 +. It's usually 68 in my house per my husbands anal tendency to need to save money. Lol. Help :)

New mom to 2 PP's- Paul (1 molt) & Juan (1 molt) and 3E's- Harry, Sarge(currently molting) and Gary Also 1 Yorkie-Joey and 1 cat-Milo and 2 teenage daughters.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Rebecca C

Re: Heat heat heat!!!

Post by Rebecca C » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Hello there,

If the nighttime heat bulb brings the temperature up to 80 and maintains it, I would say to use that and make adjustments to maintain an 80% humidity. You can wrap the lid part way with plastic wrap, add moss pits, and mist the tank as needed. :)
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

Topic author
courtbri

Post by courtbri » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:55 pm

It does bring the temp up but even with a huge moss pit and a bubble pool (I forgot to add these to my original post) all the humidity is gone- like desert heat. It's a game I've been playing for almost 2 years. I had it down perfect with my 20 gal but since I upgraded its been a nightmare. Doesn't help that I live near Buffalo NY which is the snow capital I think. But even before winter I had issues. I just can't find balance for my guys.

New mom to 2 PP's- Paul (1 molt) & Juan (1 molt) and 3E's- Harry, Sarge(currently molting) and Gary Also 1 Yorkie-Joey and 1 cat-Milo and 2 teenage daughters.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo

YYWW

Heat heat heat!!!

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:58 pm

Maybeee take the gauge out and check it against room temp first?

Crabbers unite!!!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:18 am

What brand heaters are you using? Are you insulating all 3 sides? Maybe put a blanket over the top also ...a lot of heat escapes through the lid.

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:24 am

If the gauges are working correctly have you considered getting a humidifier? You can buy one off ebay pretty cheap and rig it up to your tank.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:16 am

What about heating the front of the tank with a bulb? Since your room temp is a tad cooler heating the face of the tank should help you bump things up and let you seal the lid. You might have to get it on a timer to avoid overheating the glass, but it could help you keep warm through the winter.

Crabbers unite!!!

Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:32 pm

I was reading through some other posts, unrelated to this one, and I was wondering what kind of substrate you are using. Some types of sand are more porous and the moisture leaves it more easily. Also if you only use sand you might consider adding a little EE into it. But if you already have a mixture of EE/Playsand, then this may not help much...

I like YYWW's last idea, that could prove to be helpful. :)
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

Topic author
courtbri

Post by courtbri » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:13 pm

At the moment it's all EE. I had a flooding issue a couple months ago. You all have really good advice. My UTH are on the whole back and one side. The lid is covered with aluminum. I will try a blanket. Thank you!