Beginner builds crabitat and would love some advice

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Hermittimreh

Beginner builds crabitat and would love some advice

Post by Hermittimreh » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi,

I'm planning on having some crabs. I already own a planted rainforest terrarium (substrate earth and a little pool with disstilled water) which looks very nice. I thought, I might as well get an animal (or 3) that enjoys it. I stumbled upon hermit crabs. I read a lot and discovered they apparently destroy plants. How severe is that?

I have two more tanks. So here's my plan:
I will take the rainforest terrarium (72 g) and connect it with the 28g tank (substrate sand and with salt water pool). The crabs would be able to climb from one to the other. If it turns out they destroy my rainforest terrarium, though, I'll disconnect them and the have to stay in the 28g one.
I also have a 20g which will be ISO/ given to someone to watch them when I'm away.

How is my plan?

Thanks,
Hermittimreh

P.S.: When I figure out how, I will post a pic of the existing terrarium.

hermitcrabdc

Re: Beginner builds crabitat and would love some advice

Post by hermitcrabdc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Just a fair warning hermit crabs are pretty good at destroying things. If you don't want your live plants getting ruined I would just let them be in the 28g. If you don't mind the plants being played with I think connecting the tanks is a great idea. It's all up to you what you want to do though :)

Also here's a link on how to post pictures :) http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... =8&t=87783
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:23 pm

This crabber did a live planted tank. I believe she spent quite a chunk of money on plants before giving up with the realization that the crabs just destroyed them.

Page 16:
Curious_Kitty wrote:Since the crabitat was built and after hermit crabs moved in, I've switched out three times- for the entire tat... when it came time to do fourth, I couldn't do more. I've spent too much $$$ to satisfy my vain for fresh plants in the crabitat, but after awhile, I started to feel like a fool for not accepting the simple fact- hermit crabs, simply, like to munch on anything green and edible. I tried to place the plants in strategic locations where I thought hermit crabs wasn't frequent. Wherever I placed the plants, my violas and strawberries went after it, and started it to eat them inside out. It gave me shivers whenever I saw violas heading straight for my favorite Broms,.......... they'd sit on top of it, and start to munch. I would occasionally interrupte their snack time whenever I spot them doing it, but went back for it as soon as I dropped them off. All of them........ my precioussssss plants... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Just a heads up. Mine are even hard on the fake plants. Maybe try with a few in the other tank that you're not so attached to before deciding?

lessthansign3

Post by lessthansign3 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Hermit crabs are scavengers, and they're also like toddlers - they'll put pretty much anything in their mouths. So, if they nibble it and discover it's edible (and many plants are, to a hermit crab), they will eat it. It's sad, because planted tanks are so beautiful. I had dreams of a planted tank once myself. Then I just had to accept the reality that hermit crabs and live plants don't really go together. :(

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:39 am

Yep! I have a gorgeous download in my 55. I was so happy because they left it alone...for about 3 weeks! Now it is nearly stripped.