Substrate Temp

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
AcerCrab

Substrate Temp

Post by AcerCrab » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:57 pm

Has anyone ever put a thermometer probe in the substrate to see what the temperature is like? We keep the above ground environment just SO I wonder what the conditions are like in the catacombs.
Mum to 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rats and 6 hermies in our CrabiFrat (a fraternity of little greek crabs wearing togas).

megmaholm

Re: Substrate Temp

Post by megmaholm » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 pm

I have one of those stick-on strip aquarium thermometers that's right below my substrate line, and it reads about 10 degrees lower than the above-ground temp, so low to mid 70s. Of course it's on the outside so measuring the temperature of the glass, but I'm sure it's fairly close. I have a temperature probe somewhere that I should try out.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
AcerCrab

Post by AcerCrab » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:50 pm

I have one of those temperature strips on the outside of the glass over the substrate and it reads that way too. We just need little cameras and thermometers everywhere. The crabs figure we are big eyed monsters spying on them anyway.
Mum to 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 rats and 6 hermies in our CrabiFrat (a fraternity of little greek crabs wearing togas).

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:24 am

The substrate will quickly transition from tank temp to room temp. In the wild it's naturally a fair bit cooler underground, so this replicates what they are used to dealing with. It's also why using a UTH on the bottom isn't a good idea, since it's the opposite of what they are expecting. (Warmer on top, colder the deeper they go.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram