Dechlorinators

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
pearl29mi

Dechlorinators

Post by pearl29mi » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:52 pm

Are there any dechlorinators reccomended to use for dechlorinating the water for my hermit crabs? I need a cheap one that will last a while :)
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

JulesRolyCrab

Re: Dechlorinators

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Seachem Prime. A lot of people use it, it gets ride of the ammonia, chlorine, chloramine, nitrite and nitrate. It comes in a 3.4 fl oz bottle (100 mL), which lasts forever. I say that because you seriously only use 2-4 drops per gallon. 1 cap-full for 50 gallons. It's crazy, right? Anyways, I'm pretty sure it was like $4. It can come in bigger bottles, but I don't think you will need that, unless your crabs have their own swimming pool (it says on the bottle that the whole 100mL treats 1,000 gallons). Here's a picture of the one I have:

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Prime is 2 drops per gallon of water. A bottle will last for a long time.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:33 pm

(I use 4 drops because of how much chlorine we have.)

Ideally you want something that removes chlorine/chloramine, ammonia, and heavy metals. There are a couple of products out there that do this, but I also like Prime the best. It may get smelly over time, but it never expires, so a little bottle lasts for hundreds of gallons. It's a bit more pricey but you won't have to worry about the water anymore. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram