Heating troubleshoot

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
OkiProcoJ

Heating troubleshoot

Post by OkiProcoJ » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Hello hermie family! Okay so my problem is heating. I have a 40 gal tank with proco, jasper and oki inside. The coldest corner at substrate level is 69.8 degreesF. Directly under my lamp it's 91degreesF!! I have a 100watt moon glow bulb sitting to the side. They seem to gather under it. I'm worried they will cook themselves. But the issue is that seems to be the only place where heat is. What should I do?? I have a fresh air screen that I keep about 75% covered. Proco has gone down for a molt. He is in intank Iso. I don't really want to buy a UTH. Any thoughts? Or ideas?

Laurie LeAnn

Re: Heating troubleshoot

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:38 am

Why no heat mat? I use them and have moon glow light.. can you change your bulb so it's not as hot??

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:10 am

Hi! A UTH (sold as under tank heating mats) applied to the back of your tank will provide the most even heat. Your whole tank should be a minimum temp of 75°F. What is your humidity? I am concerned because if it is 90°F with the lamp that your humidity is getting dried up.
Ultratherms are highly recommended while other crabbers have had success with other mats.
Ultratherms can be insulated but not all heat mats can.
They should be affixed to the back of the tank above the substrate line.
If you don't have a hygrometer a digital gauge can be picked up at Wal*Mart for $9-10 Acurite gauges are in the DIY/Home Improvement section usually.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

amart24

Post by amart24 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:05 am

I have the large version of this on my ten, works perfectly:
http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDeta ... SearchID=5

Two large and maybe a small should work well for a 40.

Topic author
OkiProcoJ

Post by OkiProcoJ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:33 am

Thank you so much for all the replys! I will probably get an ultratherm for them. My humidity is about a steady 80%. It only dries right under neath it. I have two digital thermometers and one analog with one digital and one analog hydrometer. They seem pretty happy as they are but I want to make sure that they are properly taken care of. I'll post a pic of my crabitat as soon as I figure out how :) thank y'all for all the responses and help!!