Epic Crabitat Setup

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Epic Crabitat Setup

Post by PixelPlex22 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:31 pm

This Christmas I am planning to get a 101 gallon hermit crab tank (aka http://goo.gl/CaFo5y ) It is 3 feet high and 3 feed wide and 18 inches in. I am also planning on purchasing a misting system to keep the humidity up. It would offer a lot of room for my hermit crabs, which they definitely need. Call me crazy for keeping four little guys in a ten gallon Image. Anyway, I need to know what I should put in that space for my little guys. I would like them to be as happy as can be and have a naturalistic look.

Currently on my shopping list:
Terrarium

Lots of different artificial plants (hermits will eat natural plants Image)

Large pieces of cork and other wood

Small 7 inch critter keepers for water
bowls(with a way to crawl out)

Large Hermie huts

Moss

Plexiglass for a second level

Long pieces of fishing net

Substrate, coco-fiber and sand

Twigs

A moving water feature, that spills into water bowls

Anything else? Does anything need changed? What do you guys think? And most importantly, how do you think I should set it all up?

This will be the luxury house for hermits! Image

I could use my 10 gal and 5 gal as an iso!

Crabinski

Re: Epic Crabitat Setup

Post by Crabinski » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:54 pm

That's an impressive terrarium!: you'll have fun putting everything together and the crabs will be sure to love it. All the items you have listed sound good with the possible exception of the moving/spilling water feature. Salt water can be really hard on pumps and I know that there are posts (probably in Crabitat Conditions) discussing the pros and cons of waterfall type features, including possible flooding. You can create moving water just by adding bubblers (air stones) to the pools -- that'll also boost humidity and crabs certainly enjoy the bubbles...it's like a little spa :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:55 pm

I would just make sure that water feature is definitely perfected, you wouldn't want a flood! :headshake:
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:56 pm

pearl29mi wrote:I would just make sure that water feature is definitely perfected, you wouldn't want a flood! :headshake:
Yeah i might try a bubbler

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 pm

One other thing about a moving water feature is the crabs will inevitably drag sand in and trash the gears, from what I understand.

Other than that, it sounds great! Be sure to post progress pics when you eventually get started on it :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Ok thanks! Does anyone knows how I should put it together?

LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:56 pm

I put a waterfall in my tank recently and took it out in less than a week. I was constantly in front of the tank checking to make sure that it wasn't flooding. Plus, the water got gross, quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk