Crab is destroying/eating artificial plants

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Lemonsqr

Crab is destroying/eating artificial plants

Post by Lemonsqr » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:15 pm

So my 2 crabs love to pick apart any plastic plants & shred the fabric ones. I noticed today that the suction cups in one of the shower caddies is all mangled too. Could they actually be eating this stuff? Do I need to take it out?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Crab is destroying/eating artificial plants

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:48 pm

I've never seen mine eat - it seems to be a reaction to being bored. I had a jumbo in a 30 gallon while I was getting my big tank ready, and she systematically destroyed three plastic plants by sitting the corner and pinching them apart. Didn't eat it, just sat there and plucked at it. Like crabby OCD. Once I got her in the bigger tank and she had space to move and things to actually do, she never did it again.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:51 pm

Don't worry! Crabs are very good about knowing what is edible and what is not. A lot of the destruction our little darlings do is caused by them simply "pinching" the leaves/netting/suction cups etc. to move about. One of my plastic vines looked like it had been chewed by a puppy but it was all pincher action while climbing. The small resin tree they absolutely love has been practically denuded of its fabric leaves over the years, all due to "snip, snip, snip" :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm convinced mine are eating my fake plants. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:37 am

My fake plants get a bit beat up looking over time, so I replace them every few years. It's one reason I don't splurge on the super nice, $$$ ones. :lol: I've never seen any of them actually eating it though.

hemrit crabs

Post by hemrit crabs » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Mine do this to and I'm really worried its harmful to them. They are definitely eating it because I watched one and there are no remains :shock: I don't know what to do

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:02 pm

hemrit crabs wrote:Mine do this to and I'm really worried its harmful to them. They are definitely eating it because I watched one and there are no remains :shock: I don't know what to do
I don't know if mine eat them, but I know they like to pick at them and pull them apart.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Sensi

Post by Sensi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:30 pm

I had a plastic aquarium peice in my tank and I removed it. I started seeing holes in it and thought what the heck. Then I caught a crab eating it one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Crabbie mom to Popcorn, Barbosa, Elizabeth Swan, Peanut butter/George Lopez/Bob the Builder (given three names by my 13 yr old I know not why), Will Turner, Pickle, Sideways and R.I.P. Bubbles, Junior, E, Spike, Callipso, Davy Jones and Capt'n Jack, Carlos and Speedy :(