Sand major dry? Help!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Sand major dry? Help!

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:12 pm

So currently the sand in my tank is so dry. Whenever I spray the sand with a spray bottle, it only wets the top of the sand. Ive been tempted to take out everything, and all the crabs, and soak the sand and everything, but I'm I think some of my crabs are molting right now. But I can't leave the sand dry like this. I spray and spray it on top, but it just seems to sit on the top is all. Anyone have any suggestions what I can do? I've always had this problem, and right now I'm sure I have some crabs molting, and worried about them. Thanks
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Life is not complete without a "few" critters!

Ilovehermies74

Re: Sand major dry? Help!

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I dont know if this is the correct soulution, but i have done this and its worked. I add water and just pour it onto the sand. That way the water soaks through the sand because of the gravity of the falling water
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:45 am

Are you sure it's all dry; all the way down the the bottom? The most of I recommend is to wet it in the areas that you're sure that the crabs aren't moulting in (after all pouring a bottle of water right on top of a moulting crab will surely collapse their cave). Wetting/drenching the corners would be something I would do.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Yea it's dry all the way down im pretty sure. And Idk where the crabs are molting. Because I have 18 crabs, and only 5-6 are on top right now. The rest are destressing still or just digging for fun or I assume molting. So I'm not really sure what to do. I've always had this problem, I spray the top 2x a day, and dries out pretty quickly on top.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Did you start the tank out with substrate that was dampened to sandcastle consistency? Do you have a UTH that covers the whole back of the tank, including the substrate? And do you have the top of the tank sealed up in anyway? If you started out with sandcastle consistency, I'm not sure how it would've dried out enough to dry out the sub all the way to the bottom...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:59 pm

It's winter. My house is 16% humidity. I have to add two gallons of water a week to substrate to keep it moist!

I actually use the same method as Ilovehermies74 - the water dump. Never had trouble with molters down, but it has to be done carefully and with small amounts at a time if it's become extremely dry. Get the very top wet everywhere in the tank so that the water flows evenly, and then add a small amount at a time, over a period of a couple of days. Sealing the tank up well will allow the moisture to penetrate downwards. You'll need less than you think, or you risk flooding!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 pm

I guess I'll try just dumping water throughout the sand. The main thing I was worried about was flooding as you said. But I'll do it carefully. I honestly don't know how it gets so dry so fast. I've always had this problem. And yes I did have it sand castle consistency. But it dries up so fast.

jclee

Post by jclee » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:49 pm

What does your lid look like? You can cover part of it with saran wrap to keep more humidity in.
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:46 am

Its just a screen lid, but yea I'll try doing that also.

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:19 pm

wodesorel wrote:It's winter. My house is 16% humidity. I have to add two gallons of water a week to substrate to keep it moist!

I actually use the same method as Ilovehermies74 - the water dump. Never had trouble with molters down, but it has to be done carefully and with small amounts at a time if it's become extremely dry. Get the very top wet everywhere in the tank so that the water flows evenly, and then add a small amount at a time, over a period of a couple of days. Sealing the tank up well will allow the moisture to penetrate downwards. You'll need less than you think, or you risk flooding!
Yes i have the same issue. I live in Minnesota and it is cold and 11% humidity. I get nervous every day at school because i cant get home soon enough to douse their tank. I have not had any problems either.
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

amart24

Post by amart24 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:52 pm

HermitCrabAddicted wrote:Its just a screen lid, but yea I'll try doing that also.
I have a screen lid on my 20 H. With a bubbler in both pools, I have two hand towels on top. They cover the areas not covered by a 10g aquarium lid that i use as a light.

With the bubblers and towels, i just moisten my moss pits once a weke and it overs at 75% farthest away from the pools/moss.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:21 pm

I have yet to buy the bubblers, still need to. But I'll try putting some towels on the lid to see if that will help. I did put some water over the sand yesterday, and its all dry again today. Ill dump a lot of water in there tonight, hopefully will help, plus the towels.