Hi! Haven't posted in a while, new crabitat!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
JamieL

Hi! Haven't posted in a while, new crabitat!

Post by JamieL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey all, I haven't posted in some time. But i just set up a new crabitat for my PPs and I could use some ideas! It's very empty, I need more fun stuff!! And some input on my setup would be good too! :D

So it's a 20 gallon long, currently housing 1 Med 2 small and 2 teeny (or 3 small 2 teeny? I find the sizing very confusing!). Substrate is play sand + coconut fiber, large Uth on the back, salt and fresh water bowls, coconut hut, mopani, plastic vine (that they already ripped off the wall). Light is a 40 watt CFL. I just added the hygrometer (calibrated) and the thermometer, waiting for an accurate reading. What can I add/change? :crabbigsmile:

hermitcrabdc

Re: Hi! Haven't posted in a while, new crabitat!

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:03 pm

If I were you I would add some more plants in the back for more climbing space. Maybe a few more shells for them to choose from also.
I've given up with those vines. I have I think 4 and none of them are hanging by their suction cups. I use mostly zip ties now, I find they hold up longer and the crabs can't rip them out of place :)
It's a great start, good luck!
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
JamieL

Post by JamieL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:41 pm

thanks! I'll work on getting some more plants. I have more shells hanging around, I'll go through them and get some more in there. Do you think it's a good number of crabs? I don't want to crowd them

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:31 pm

You could add a moss pit. Just get a shower caddy and fill it with moss, that will add another level too! They love hiding in the moss and it boosts humidity too. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:14 pm

More climbing/hiding stuff! A suspended moss pit is a great idea (or even setting one up in a corner at ground level). Small branches from safe-wood trees (check Safe/Unsafe Foods lists), not treated with pesticides, are terrific climbing features and are free! Pieces of cholla cactus wood can be found at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores for under $5. Check out your local dollar store and thrift stores for nifty plastic/cloth vines and flowers -- colorful "bushy" flowers like mums are fun for the crabs to climb on and hide in/under. Most of the cloth flowers will come with long plastic stems (wire within) that can be trimmed down and poked right into the substrate, leaving the leaves and flowers above-ground.

Another easy and cheap climbing/napping item is fish net. This is sold bagged at Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann, usually around $6 for a 3'x5' piece. As it is genuine used fish net, it will need to be washed in very hot water (no soap, of course) to get rid of any detritus and some of the genuine stink, too. It's simple to cut the netting to any size you want and drape it along the glass to create a crabbie version of a rock climbing wall; the net can also be draped over a stick, resin tree or cholla to create both a climbing and hiding area.

Last but not least, although you have teeny and small crabs now, they'll grow quickly at that size, molting frequently, and will need deeper substrate than it appears you currently have in the tank. Be sure that the substrate is at least 6" deep throughout so they can have fun tunneling and be safe when molting.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
JamieL

Post by JamieL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Ok! I'll see what I can find tomorrow. Substrate is about 4" now. I was going by the "at least twice as deep as your largest crab" rule, but i have more sand and coconut fiber handy, I can add more. I was talking to someone the other day who said she layers sand on the bottom and coconut fiber on top, but that doesn't sound like it would stay that way anyway? I have mine mixed, if never heard of doing it that way. Currently my humidity is 80%, temp is just under 75 but I have the thermometer on the opposite side of tank from the heater so I think that's ok?

Topic author
JamieL

Post by JamieL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Two of my larger guys

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:47 am

JamieL wrote:Two of my larger guys
Cutie patooties!! The tank looks very open, while PP are the least active generally what really helps getting them out from hiding is making hiding nooks throughout the tank like flowers/vines/climbing toys like branches or cholla. That way they feel safe amongst the plants and still visible to you.

Twelve PP hermit babies Image
-

Topic author
JamieL

Post by JamieL » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:17 pm

I struck out at the dollar store, I went to Christmas tree shop and got a bag of shells for $1.30 that had 5 little green turbo shells, and I got a bag of large starfish. I think maybe I can create a thing to climb on one of the walls
Try another store tomorrow! How do you guys attach the vines and things for climbing?

I also have this egg crate stuff, maybe this could work for something

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 pm

I also have a 20 g long. I love mine. More floor space. I have a lot of 2nd floors and bridges so it's almost double the space.

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Egg crate is great for ladders! Image

I had some elect over from my false bottom. You could also cut it and use it for ramps into your pools!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
JamieL

Post by JamieL » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:06 pm

Ooooooooh good ideas!! :banana: Is that the coconut liner stuff for planters you have on there to the left?? I saw it in the store earlier and thought about getting it but I didn't

I found fishnet today, but how he heck do I attach it to anything/hang it??

I'm looking for cholla but the only one I found was a tiny little one that was colored blue or green or something

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:40 pm

JamieL wrote:I found fishnet today, but how he heck do I attach it to anything/hang it??

I'm looking for cholla but the only one I found was a tiny little one that was colored blue or green or something
The fishnet is light enough that it can be supported with suction cups just under the lip of the tank (attach about every 4"). It's not the right season for finding any of the little split-cap suction cups used for hanging Christmas lights in windows in stores but maybe online? I love these small suction cups because you just squeeze the cup to pop open the split-cap to insert a vine, bubbler tubing or bit of fishnet, let go and it closes, securing the item for hanging -- the suction is surprisingly strong and a quick rinse under hot water restores the suction if one fails.

The colored "cholla" found in pet shops is made of resin and is perfectly fine to use. The crabs will happily climb on it but natural cholla is preferable as the crabs will actually pinch off bits to consume.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
JamieL

Post by JamieL » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:37 pm

I added a few things, zip tied aquarium plants to the egg crate and leaned in some starfish. Fishnet in the corner. I'm going to do a shower caddy moss pit. I have a second coconut, I wonder if I should put it in...all 5 ran inside the hut while I was fiddling and I hear a ruckus. I'm not sure how they even all fit in there

Hard to see, slightly steamy in there. I'd like to maybe make a second level over the water dishes

DaltMc

Post by DaltMc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:08 pm

I really like what you did with the plants and egg crate. Where did you get those at? I recently got a 20L too and I'm very happy with the length of it. I too have thought about doing a second story over my water bowls for a shell shop/ moss pit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk