What temp is considered best for PP?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Boshia

What temp is considered best for PP?

Post by Boshia » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:51 pm

I've been keeping an eye on the 10g for when the crabs come up and are ready to move over. I have an insulated Ultratherm 6" by 17" on the back, and a smaller ZooMed UTH near the water bowls to raise humidity. In the middle of the tank the temperatures have been reading between 85-89 degrees. It's higher near the UTH, around 91 or so. Is this too high for Purple Pinchers? Will they be comfortable?

hermitcrabdc

Re: What temp is considered best for PP?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 pm

It's not too high as long as they have a cooler place in the tank. If they get too hot they'd need a cooler area. Since you have a cooler area I'd say you're okay :)
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:52 pm

My tank was consistently 91-93 recently and if anything, the crabs were more active. They have plenty of spots to cool down, though. The glass that my UTH is up against is almost always 110-115 and it doesn't bother them at all. PPs are pretty adaptable! If you're worried about the temps getting too high, you could buy a cheap lamp dimmer to plug your Ultratherm into. I did that for my 55 gallon and after some fiddling got the temp in the middle of the tank down to about 83, which I'm happier with since if we have a random warm day I don't need to worry about the temps getting even crazier.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:30 am

In my experience on the occasion that my crabitat has reached well up into the 90s throughout, my PPs were all hanging out of their shells overheated. But , as others already stated, if there are cooler areas they can move to they're fine. I just thought I'd chime in with my experience with a high temp throughout (no cooler areas).

Topic author
Boshia

Post by Boshia » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks, the cooler area is at 83 degrees. So that should be fine, I guess! If I notice they are getting too hot I'll take off the smaller UTH.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

orangefire

Post by orangefire » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:51 pm

Maybe look into a thermostat to turn off your heaters when a certain temp is reached. These can be found on Amazon for 20-30 dollars, originally for seedling germination heating pads but work just as well for uth's since they're pretty much the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015F4 ... GFJXAT8J9K -for example.

Actual terrarium/reptile thermostats seem to be far more expensive while not doing anything different, aside from possibly having a Night temp drop setting.
Crab Army: 3 PP's strong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Shi Shi Sha!!" -Rusty Shackleford