Velcro Hermit Crab Safe?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
HermitCrabber

Velcro Hermit Crab Safe?

Post by HermitCrabber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 am

I have recently purchased a caddy for a second level in my crabitat from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Squ ... k/16408670 Mini Storage trays by mainstays. I also purchasedhttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Velcro-Industrial-St ... 2/17190462 Black industrial strength sticky velcro. I was wondering if these things are safe to put in my crabitat? *****Especially the Velcro****,and if I should treat the plastic or Velcro in anyway.

links to things purchased above. :clap:

*** The Tray has holes as seen in the picture and I cut thin strips of the velcro and placed it where it cant be seen or touched so hat no velcro is showing through the empty spaces. is that okay?
Last edited by HermitCrabber on Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Crabber. 10 gallon tank! Any suggestions? Please send! :D
I Love the HCA!

mool

Re: Velcro and Plastic Hermit Crab Safe?

Post by mool » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:00 pm

I always thought plastic was a huge no-no, but when I look around at pictures on this site, I see all kinds of plastic in tanks--water bowls, food bowls, fake greenery, shell shops, etc.

The plastic plants to me are the worst. They smell like plastic and that can't be good for the crab? I don't know. Maybe I'm being overly cautious and my info is outdated.

I'm sure you are fine, but I'm going to stick with keeping it to a minimum. The only plastic that I have added to my tank is the thermometer/hygrometer. There isn't much I can do about the plastic trim around the top of the tank and on the lids. I think the strip at the end of my lids is vinyl, not plastic.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Plastic is fine. Many of us use plastic plants and other pieces of aquarium safe decor.

mool

Post by mool » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:36 pm

I might have to jump onto the plastic train at least for a shell shop. I do like the idea of them.

CallaLily

Re: Velcro Hermit Crab Safe?

Post by CallaLily » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:12 am

I've used Velcro to hold up gauges in the past. No issues as far as hurting the crabs, but heat and humidity are hard on it and it often comes undone.

Plastic is perfectly safe.

marandashermies

Re: Velcro Hermit Crab Safe?

Post by marandashermies » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:46 pm

I use plastic as well, no issues. I also have Velcro, the industrial kind and no issues with that either. You should be fine with both!
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1