Favorite Tank Decor

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
WinkyCrab

Favorite Tank Decor

Post by WinkyCrab » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:15 am

Lets start a thread on our favorite decorations for hides, climbing decor, and other crab approved crabitat decorations. Please share some of your favorite things in your tank and share the love! It would be really nice to have a sort of collection of the most recommended tank decorations, and people could look on this thread for tank ideas. I know i'm always looking for new things for the hermies to crawl on and things to hide in, so please contribute your favorite decor!

http://www.petsmart.com/bird/toys-perch ... 3Dcategory
This is one of my favorite things. It is a bird toy, but I hung it in the tank with a banana holder wrapped in vine, and use it as a moss pit. At any given moment there is crab in it! I found this at petsmart. :wink:
Last edited by WinkyCrab on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rawrgeous

Re: Favorite Tank Decor

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:35 pm

I can't see your picture unfortunately. :/

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
WinkyCrab

Post by WinkyCrab » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:43 am

Thank you! I put a link, so hopefully that works better

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 am

My mice love that coconut so much that I bought one for the crabs: sadly, they were unimpressed so now the mice have a spare!

I swear by fish net, though. It's cheap, easy to cut to size and quite versatile. It can be hung around the walls (via suction cups or tied to corner guards) for climbing/napping; draped over branches or from moss pits to create hiding places; wrapped around sticks for better climbing traction...yada, yada, yada.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

mool

Post by mool » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:24 am

I have a combination of wood piled in my tank, like a pile of driftwood, and my two love it. It's a mix of grape wood, mopani, coconut halves and cork. As I go, I'm going to pile it higher and higher and hope it doesn't fall and crush a crab.

They love it.

I might try one of those bird toys. I almost bought one for my crabs. My parakeets have one and they like sitting on it, but not getting into it.

HermitCrabber

Post by HermitCrabber » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:40 pm

My favorite is the PetSmart coconut hut .. Realistic and really durable. http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/habita ... e-ornament
A piece of medium mopani wood that I got lucky on at PetCo
Its an arch with a big crevice/ Cave on the end. They love it!
Woods are inconsistent though. Ill hope to send a picture of wood soon.
New Crabber. 10 gallon tank! Any suggestions? Please send! :D
I Love the HCA!

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:50 pm

My guys really like these terra cotta pots that I picked up at the Dollar Tree, 3 for $1. The abandoned the coconut huts, moss pit and rock caves. I put a little moistened moss in and they adjust how much if any they want in there. They each have their own now! :cloud9:

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:08 pm

My guys favorite seems to be cork wood. Seems to be tasty to them too. :)

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:27 pm

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016031 ... a8512e.jpg[/IMG

Mine like that plastic piece of wood, but they LOVE that light brown hut that got cut off in this pic.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Candie

Post by Candie » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:15 pm

One of my crabs has claimed a fish floaty log, every morning she's back in her log. The logs only about 5 inches long but she loves sleeping in it. Sadly she's almost too big to fit in it anymore.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

sydrae

Post by sydrae » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:07 pm

I have a few questions about this tank decor if that's ok. 1) what exactly is a moss pit and 2) what type of fish net? I'm new to this whole decorating thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Either craft fish net, or genuine used fishnet from a craft store or Amazon will work. A moss pit is a container (usually plastic with ventilation but not always, shower caddies are popular) or net that holds moist moss for the crabs to eat, dig in, tear up, and hide in. :)

DarthKrab

Post by DarthKrab » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:28 pm

I just bought some leafy circlets from the craft store and hung them on the side above some of the pieces of wood I've got in there. It serves the purpose of excersize AND hiding. Unfortunately I just got them last night so no one has figured them out yet but I think it's neat (:

I need to find something better but I covered the outside with tape so they wouldn't feel exposed and could actually hide in there

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4 PP's:Zelda, Chancho, Parker, Frankie Sinatra

"I find your lack of claw disturbing..."

Candie

Post by Candie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:44 pm

I just bought 11 plants, a small holed log and a smallish bent over log tree. They are in the mail still but I will post when I redecorate. I'm so excited to watch my little ones explore plus I'm getting a upgrade tank and a bunch of food from wode so they are about to be very spoiled