Insulating and warmth

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Insulating and warmth

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:13 pm

me n my hermikids wrote:How many UTH's on one plug? I already have two big UTH's on my tank, and i was thinking of also adding th little one that i had from my 10 gal. There are no plugs near the tat, so i had to run an extension cord over. Is that too much load on the cord?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That has a lot more to do with the wiring in your house, and you need to talk with an electrician. If everything is the way it's supposed to be, you can figure out how many watts everything takes (it's listed on a tag or on the pad), and make sure your extension cord is rated for it and that the wall socket in not connected to too many others before it gets to the breaker box. In a perfect world, there should be more than enough to go around with absolutely no risk. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and many houses have older wiring or someone who took shortcuts while putting it in. :(

Ideally, it's straight from the plug into the wall. With bad wiring, accidents can happen even with a single extension cord. You do not want to see my critter room. :whistle:: I have everything on the new wiring but I still keep worrying about what could happen. I keep begging hubby to run another set of wires up there with it's own breaker to be safe.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ashleyandanimals

Post by ashleyandanimals » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Oh dear. I've had zoo med uth pads insulated with foil and cardboard for a few months. no bubbling. No smells. No cracking. Still not safe? Well anyway I ordered my ultra therm tonight for my new tank so it won't matter soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do my best to spoil all of my pets! :)

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:24 am

I have one of the extension cords that's has 5-6 plugs in it that you plug into your wall .. a power surge cord.. i have 3 uth and 2 lights plugged into that baby! Our house is electric out let poor...old house..very few around..so we use slot of these power surge cords...also might add if your having trouble with your heat and can't afford a proper lid..try wrapping your mesh in plastic then a towel. Towels are pouress they will let heat out.. you still need some ventilation

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:37 am

I have 2 filters, 2 UTH, 2 lights and the digital console for my gauge plugged in. I love my power strip!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:56 am

I'm a big advocate of following directions to the letter. I'd feel guilty as heck if I told someone to insulate a pad that says it shouldn't be insulated, only to have it catch fire and cause damage. It's up to everyone to make their own choice, but I'd never make the suggestion that someone do it!

Myself, I have a lot of power strips in this house since every enclosure seems to have three or four things that need to go with it.. Not that the strips are much safer even with a breaker on them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram