500 gallon Crabitat

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: 500 gallon Crabitat

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:45 am

I think JediMasterThrash is in the twin cities?? (He's not in Japan, he's just an otaku like me.) You're our go-to adopter in St. Louis, so I don't know anyone else off the top of my head. :( I can always post something up on FB, but when it's for fostering and not rehoming, people slink off to the shadows. You'd probably have to quarantine them for around a month anyway to be absolutely sure the mites are gone, so the timing is okay for them to be binned. If anything, it will stop you from wanting to rush it!

Lets hope the resin is enough to fix the issue, and it airs out quickly. If I remember correctly, heat and mild humidity will help it cure up faster? I will say I rushed my display case (Enviro-tex epoxy) and only waited 2.5 weeks. The smell was still strong inside for months afterwards, but I didn't loose any crabs. Not saying that was the safest route, but I didn't realize how much it was going to smell once it was all sealed up. I did wipe it all down well before putting anything in just to remove any surface residue.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks wodesorel. Well I guess no molting for them in mean time. Feel bad since they alreadt went through so much
Ok, I'll be sure to not rush it. Thanks for the help.
Pyre Shep Nina,GSD Balotelli,30 Purple Pinchers,1 Red Foot Tortoise,1 Russian Tortoise,7 Rabbits,4 Ruggies,3 Indos,3 Strawberries,16 Aussies,1 Reeves Turtle,one 20 gal Mollie Tank,two 5 gal nano freshwater planted tanks with Bettas,one 29 Gal Freshwater Tank,2 Guppy/Mystery Snail breeder tanks

Topic author
EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:56 pm

So the job is done. Fiberglass mats and resin applied to all seams. Tested it by filling with water. No leaks. Less of a smell this time around (used more hardener) but there is still some smell. Hopefully that dissipates quickly. I've run into a bit of a problem. I wanted to test temps before I sealed up that hole where all of the wireing comes through, since running a heat bulb in would not be possible without breaking the seal again. Here is the problem. At sub level temps read 72*F, at mid level temps read 80*F, and at highest level, which the crabs can get to, the temp reads 99*F. This is withought sub. Will this change for the better once the sub is in since there won't be a cold well messing with the readings at sub level, or would it be worse since the is less air to heat so the top level will be even hotter.
Pyre Shep Nina,GSD Balotelli,30 Purple Pinchers,1 Red Foot Tortoise,1 Russian Tortoise,7 Rabbits,4 Ruggies,3 Indos,3 Strawberries,16 Aussies,1 Reeves Turtle,one 20 gal Mollie Tank,two 5 gal nano freshwater planted tanks with Bettas,one 29 Gal Freshwater Tank,2 Guppy/Mystery Snail breeder tanks

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:42 pm

I thiiiiiiiiiink, for no reason, credit or basis, that when the space is smaller and the air more humid, that the above sub space will all be warmer. If you put the heat on a dimmer switch, that shouldnt be a problem. I recommend getting a higher quality dimmer or hygrotherm controller, because many crabby lives are at stake! Plus it's a 500gal crabitat!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Didn't even think about a dimmer. Thanks YYWW. I would love to set up a thermostat but with funds drying up, come on I built a 1000 doller tank lol, that will have to wait. Thanks for the tip

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:24 pm

DANG! C'moooon, whats another $40? i understand tho. Crabbing costs sneak up on you, then drop a piano on you!! A cheap dimmer will most likely work, or even a timer. You can even be the timer, yourself, until you can purchase a device!
But hopefully the temps wont be that hardcore when all is said and done. That would be best.
Does the heat lamp stay on at night?

Crabbers unite!!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Thermostats are needed for when the temperature has to always be exact, or there's worry of what would happen if a dimmer failed to the on position. With crabs, they can take brief periods of higher temps because they can dig (my E tank once hit 120 degrees for a day when the built-in dimmer on a lamp failed) and they can take 10 degree swings in temp without worry. It's nice for convenience's sake, but it's not a must. A regular $10 dimmer is fine and really can't do anything more than a thermostat could, so long as you remember to watch the temp when the season/weather changes. :)

There are so many variables to take into account with not just the structure, but also the location, things in the tank, source of heat, amount of moisture, etc. that all you can really do is make a best guess to start and see what happens in practice. The substrate may act like a giant heat sink and instead keep the tank cooler then it would be otherwise. It could act as a giant insulator and keep the tank much much warmer. Just have to test it and see, and make adjustments as needed. With that volume of wet sand it's probably going to take a day or so for the temperature to become stable, and anytime you make adjustments it will take just as much time before you know what the outcome will be. Thermal mass and all that.

Topic author
EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks guys. I have half of the sand in (surprisingly the smell went away quickly) Im done with the ramps for the five gallon pools. As for the lamp YYWW, yes I plan to keep it on at all times. It is a ceramic heat emitter. The I original one was a 150watt. I changed it to a 100watt now. Its gonna take way less power to heat this thing than I originally thought. Remember the 300 watt bulb idea lol.

Topic author
EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:06 pm

One with the needle point and one without, just to shiw differences.

Now both are done and in the empty pools

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm

I love your pools! What are they, plastic bins? Where from?
Your ramps are also great! I made famps out of scrap eggcrate that was SO UGLY and yours looks so FABULOUS! Are you going to strap some plants onto them? You seem to have some awesome plants going on.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks! The pools are the 5 gallon critter keepers from PetSmart. As for decor, Idk.... its going to be more of a wait and see thing I guess.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:55 am

Ahhh! KKs!!! Are you going to filter and cycle them? I remember mention that there are points of them that are weak when filled with water, or something.

Crabbers unite!!!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 am

KKs are very delicate when full of water. I've cracked a bunch trying to move them with water weight in them.

If you ever want to camouflage the ramps, you can buy colored needlepoint canvas by the sheet at Hobby Lobby and Pat Catan's, if you have one of those nearby. It comes in like 30 or 40 different shades, so you could go brown or green or blue! I think they're between 25 and 50 cents each. It's been a few years since I bought any.

Zip ties come in green, brown and black as well but they're a little harder to find.

Topic author
EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:31 pm

Do you think if I just never take them in and out when full that they will be ok, since the sand on all sides will give some support? If not then I might just have to buy some glass five gallon tanks.... :(

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:26 pm

You can just put filters in them, and use a siphon to do water changes. That would be better for you, too. Once the tank is cycled, 20% water changes weekly, less water consumed. They ARE 5gallon bodies of water. That's like a pound of salt every day????

Crabbers unite!!!