New to the forum, and building new crabitat.

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Hdale85

Re: New to the forum, and building new crabitat.

Post by Hdale85 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:25 am

Ah okay makes sense now!

The other bigger crab has dug itself a nice tunnel last night it seems. He actually brought the dirt out to the surface though where the other did not.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:10 pm

I got my new shells in today, I boiled them and placed the ones that were more relevant in the tank after dipping them in MSW. Some of them were really tiny so I left them out and put them aside in case we ever get some tiny crabs.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:17 pm

Now that you have the basics covered, your crabs will benefit from plants and places to hide. Remember that they are known as tree crabs in the wild and that it is very important to provide vertical climbing structures for them like branches, nets, vines, etc. I can't tell how deep your substrate is but also keep in mind that we recommend a minimum of 6" if you have tiny crabs. I have 12"- 13" of substrate as I have some larger crabs. This is very important for them to have molting space.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Yes that stuff is coming next, I have some chola picked out and plan on getting some other stuff as well.

Also the substrate is at least 10" deep.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:01 pm

The bigger crab (apparently who's name is pinky) came out of his hole and then immediately switched into one of the new shells I out in today! His was the last of the painted shells so I'm happy all those are out.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:21 pm

Yay! Sounds like your hermies are making themselves at home :D The shells look beautiful!! Have to commend you on your hard work and in such a short time frame! Your tank is coming together beautifully!

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm

It would be further along sooner but funds were tight after vacation lol. Hopefully next week (end of the month) I'll be able to order a bunch of habitat decorations and stuff.

And yes pinky has been quite comfortable since the day we put him in there, the other one just dug a hole immediately.

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Wow, that was fast and furious, you don't mess around, great job! Would love to see Pinky in his new shell. Your other crab isn't The Brain, is it? :lol:

I covered the screen lid on my 20g with ziploc bags. I taped them to the frame on one side so I could just flip them out of the way to remove the lid. We moved to a 65g a couple of weeks ago and boy, I'm loving the glass lids (Aqueon Versa-tops), both for light and holding in humidity!

Looking forward to your continued updates!

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:12 am

You know he is smaller......he could be the brain lol. I'm not sure if he'll survive though. I'm hoping and we will see. I'll try and get a picture tomorrow of him in the new shell. My daughter gets mad at me for calling it a him because she called it a girl and o told her we don't really know if it's a bit or a girl so now she yells at me when I say him lol.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:50 am

Well woke up this morning and went to take a pic of him and he swapped shells again! This time to one that we had before the eBay order arrived yesterday lol.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:13 am

Hmm so ever since he moved into that conch type shell he's been less active. He dug a hole under one of the logs for him self but he can't seem to bury himself only dig it down and sit in it, the hole isn't that deep and you can see him on the top, he sort of crawls out of the hole for a bit and sits by it and then just goes back in it eventually where as before he put that shell on he was all over the tank. Also when I see him actually trying to walk around it looks like the shell is awkward for him, because the hump part is like under his legs and he has to come out a lot more. Just something I've observed I guess, I hope he switches shells as I don't think this particular shell is to his liking very much. I may remove it if he changes.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:17 pm

I started posting pics over in the picture section but thought I'd give a little update. I've added some climbing things now and still working on one other part that will go to a moss pit. I figured I'd post an updated pic of what it pretty much looks like currently.

I have to say.....this tank looked very big when we went to pick it up. But now that we've filled it with stuff it's starting to look a lot smaller than I'd liked lol. The place the crabitat sits currently is my daughters bedroom but eventually it'll go in our office room when we get done renovating it. I think I may just build a bigger crabitat for them into the room along with a 150 gallon salt water fish aquarium I'm going to build in there. I might do something like that 500 gallon plywood tall build that guy did as It looks really neat.

As you can see on the right side I have a container floating there, I'm just trying to figure out how to use these plants I got (on top of the crabitat currently) to make something that doesn't look like a big mess going up to there. That will be the moss pit (ordered a bunch of moss from hermies kitchen). This weekend I've spent a good 300 bucks probably on hermit crab stuff lol. I still need to get more shells though although they all seem happy with the offerings as everyone keeps switching shells (we got 3 new ones in there today).

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Hdale85 wrote:I started posting pics over in the picture section but thought I'd give a little update. I've added some climbing things now and still working on one other part that will go to a moss pit. I figured I'd post an updated pic of what it pretty much looks like currently.

I have to say.....this tank looked very big when we went to pick it up. But now that we've filled it with stuff it's starting to look a lot smaller than I'd liked lol. The place the crabitat sits currently is my daughters bedroom but eventually it'll go in our office room when we get done renovating it. I think I may just build a bigger crabitat for them into the room along with a 150 gallon salt water fish aquarium I'm going to build in there. I might do something like that 500 gallon plywood tall build that guy did as It looks really neat.

As you can see on the right side I have a container floating there, I'm just trying to figure out how to use these plants I got (on top of the crabitat currently) to make something that doesn't look like a big mess going up to there. That will be the moss pit (ordered a bunch of moss from hermies kitchen). This weekend I've spent a good 300 bucks probably on hermit crab stuff lol. I still need to get more shells though although they all seem happy with the offerings as everyone keeps switching shells (we got 3 new ones in there today).
I think it looks great!! Such lucky hermies to have found a loving family! I like the climbing structures you added as well. What type of plants and flowers are those? Very pretty! Are they silk or real? If real and hermie safe I think I would put some on top of the sub ( stem going down into the sub a bit as anchor) anywhere like in the corners or along base of climbing structures so the hermies could much on them and for a little added color. If fake, I think I would probably do a bit of the same because they could use them for added hiding spots. Also, with those nice long stems, I might consider zip tying some to the top part of the tank where you have the corner guards. I think when you add some vertical climbing structures like cork bark tile, netting, or the coco climbing mat things they sell at pet stores, the could get up there and climb around. Just done thoughts! They are a total addiction but to see them healthy and active, it's a lot of fun and worth it! Love seeing this all coming together!

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Yeah they are awesome!

I was thinking about doing something like that as well, but there are so man branches on each one I'm not sure how to make it work. They are silk plants of course, I just don't want it to look bad lol.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:56 pm

Can't really screw it up :) I usually have to play around with stuff to see how it will all work. I'm not a visual person but more of a "it needs to be in front of me " person - which means it just takes me longer :hlol: I may keep some branches long just to go across the top back and shorten one in half fir the sides so it looks more balanced. There may have to be some overlapping I guess for the corners. Leftovers, I would use to decorate at sub level so the have extra hide outs. BTW, love that little guy on the log! Almost like he is the ruler of the tank in that awesome shell!