New to the forum, and building new crabitat.

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Hdale85

Re: New to the forum, and building new crabitat.

Post by Hdale85 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Then is this guy ruler of the world?

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:13 pm

:hlol: Apparenly so!! Didn't even see that guy up there! Looks like he wanted a photo shoot!

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:16 pm

He's currently napping or whatever in one of the leaf patches that's even higher up that that spot.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:00 am

So the probe for my hydrometer/temp sensor used to be in the front corner of the crabitat away from the UTH, yesterday I moved it to the middle of the tank (both front to back and side to side) so it's just hanging about halfway down in the middle of the tank. Anyawys after moving it there I've noticed one that my tank is warmer than I thought (~90 degrees according to the reading granted I think it might be a bit high by 1-3 degrees) and also my humidity seems REALLY hard to keep up. I have bubblers in both water bowls and I have to spray the tank probably 10 times a day to keep the humidity above 80% if I let it go a few hours it drops down to 66-67% (probe reads 70-72 but it's 5% high). I'm not sure why I can't keep the humidity up, I got glass lids for the top, I have the 5:1 substrate mix, bubblers etc but I feel like I'm spraying way more than I should be. I'm starting to considering buying or building a mister/fogger system.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:35 am

Hdale85 wrote:So the probe for my hydrometer/temp sensor used to be in the front corner of the crabitat away from the UTH, yesterday I moved it to the middle of the tank (both front to back and side to side) so it's just hanging about halfway down in the middle of the tank. Anyawys after moving it there I've noticed one that my tank is warmer than I thought (~90 degrees according to the reading granted I think it might be a bit high by 1-3 degrees) and also my humidity seems REALLY hard to keep up. I have bubblers in both water bowls and I have to spray the tank probably 10 times a day to keep the humidity above 80% if I let it go a few hours it drops down to 66-67% (probe reads 70-72 but it's 5% high). I'm not sure why I can't keep the humidity up, I got glass lids for the top, I have the 5:1 substrate mix, bubblers etc but I feel like I'm spraying way more than I should be. I'm starting to considering buying or building a mister/fogger system.
I would recalibrate ur hygrometer and see if maybe it is your hygrometer. Also wondering how often you are running your bubblers? Other than that I think you would need a crabber with more experience than me to chime in here .

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:13 am

Bubblers are on 24/7.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Odd. Maybe try recalibration your hygrometer.
viewtopic.php?t=92540
I noticed over time my hygrometers would change,
So I try to recalibrate it about once a month to make sure it's still on par. Do you notice condensation on the glass when it reads that low?

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:44 pm

Not when it's that low no...my temps have been kind of high though. What's too hot for the crabs? If I open the top though the humidity is even worse....

it gets fogged up after I spray in there. I need to get a dimmer I think for the UTH I thought you could get like a dimmer for a lamp but I can't seem to find one.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:27 pm

They say it should stay from 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sorry if you've already said this, but do you have an outlet connected to a light switch, would you do the dimmer that way (seems simplest to me, but I know like nothing about electricity, lol), or is there something else you had in mind?

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Also, if you have exotics, they're more sensitive to temp., didn't read the whole thread, but I think you don't??

*sorry for the double post

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:06 pm

No, all PP although one may be a E. One person said no then someone else said it was an E I posted more pics and no one else said anything so I'm not sure now...

As for dimmer light switch no.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Could you post a picture? I'm definitely no expert but the eyes of an E are usually distinguishable. You could also post a link to that old post.

And sorry, just to clarify; do you have any outlets connected to a switch?
Lol, I'm asking for all this info, I'm probably not going to be a help at all, haha. I'll do my best. :D

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:09 pm

No outlets connected to a switch as stated lol.

As for pictures yes I have them but the eyes are real clear. They are slightly oval shaped but he's really small and his coloration is very much E like, and not sure about his back. If you look in the picture section I posted pics there. Otherwise I'll post some here if you need in a few when I get on my PC.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:19 pm

A dimmer is helpful. Also a fan could help with air circulation and you wouldn't have to open the tank lid as much.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:24 pm

Hmm have to see if I have any PC fans laying around.

Also about an hour left on my 6 hour calibration and it's currently sitting at 85% so the humidity likely was worse than I even thought considering Everytime I looked in there it was showing like 70-75% which. Means it was more like 60-65%.