Need opinions please...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
CrabbySquirrel

Need opinions please...

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:18 am

While still trying to figure out what lid(s) I'm going to use for both sides of the new 55gal, I had forgotten that my husband had picked this up a while ago:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78778-1638-11G0 ... facetInfo=

If we drill some holes in the top, is there any reason why this couldn't work? The material is acrylic, but that shouldn't matter, should it? The only thing I don't know is if a heat lamp near it will be safe. It claims it has "excellent insulating properties", though, so I'm guessing it'll help holding in heat and humidity.

Since I have a clamp heat lamp, I'm guessing I could simply clamp it in a different place and point it in on the side, instead of over the top - I don't want to melt or warp anything...

thoughts?

YYWW

Re: Need opinions please...

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:32 am

My DIY acrylic lids are about 21" wide each and at 82F and 95%+ they bow every day. Good thing i made them nonpermanent, so i can flip them twice a day. Switching to glass soon!
Btw if your acrylic is very thick it might not bow, but I don't know how thick it needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IceSpark

Post by IceSpark » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 am

I have these sheets on top of a metal screen lid on my 55 gallon. I'd originally bought a thick piece and that warped in no time. I since bought some thinner, long rectangular pieces and have had no problem. They keep the humidity in very well. My heat lamps (two) are about six inches over the top of the sheets, hanging on heat lamp stands.

Topic author
CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks!

IceSpark, you mention a mesh screen lid on your 55, is that a DIY, or something you purchased. If purchased, do you have a link to exact product, or where you got it from? Thanks!

Perhaps I will go with one side glass (get just one piece for now), one side acrylic (temporary, since we already have it, hubby can just cut it down to size and drill some holes for air).....that's until I can go with something else.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:02 pm

CrabbySquirrel i think ErikRassamun used "acrylic rods" to act as reinforcement to keep his straight. They're like 1/2" thick strips of acrylic that have holes in them, and i guess you bolt/screw them via tiny holes to your acrylic sheet. They act as beams, i guess?

Topic author
CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:13 pm

YYWW, thanks....I'll look for something like when I'm at Lowes (and my list just keeps getting bigger, LOL)

I think the acrylic side is going to be temporary anyway, but it's still worth checking into....

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Yea me having to flip the lids 2x a day is SOOOOOO annoying i think thr acrylic rods are supposed to be cheap, like $1/piece, but i'm not sure what its for or where to find it. I just remember asking "how on EARTH do you use heatlamps with acrylic lid?" And being answered accordingly

IceSpark

Post by IceSpark » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:18 am

It was one that I purchased. I bought it at the same time I bought the tank. It looks very similar to the Zilla one in this picture:

http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Acrylic- ... /ct150.htm

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:26 am

I basically got the same product, but frameless:
All Glass Aquarium AAG29024 Versa Top, 24-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AS7ZS/re ... lub0PQQE0V
I like yours better Image update me how it turns out! Do you have any tubes or cords going into the tank?