Sandcastle consistency

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Kcoffey89

Sandcastle consistency

Post by Kcoffey89 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:01 pm

Hello,
My top layer of substrate never seems to stay sandcastle like but the lower part does. I try to spray it moderately each day.Should I just keep spraying until it is like the rest? Or it is normal for top layer to not be as moist? I just worry about spraying to much sometimes. I use a heat lamp which I'm sure contributes to top layer being dry.

Thanks

hermitcrab24

Re: Sandcastle consistency

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 am

Hello,
Do you have a tank heater? I would recommend a heater over a heat lamp.
Yes I would just keep spraying, or try to pour just a little bit of water over the top of the substrate. I don't think it will hurt anything if it in not always sandcastle like consistency.

good luck,
Bonnie

YYWW

Re: Sandcastle consistency

Post by YYWW » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:21 am

Hi, just make sure its really dry before spraying or pouring, because you could end up flooding the tank if you over do it. I pinch the sand at an angle and carefully back my fingers out to see if itll hold up. You can even push a straw down 2-3 inches, and after you pick it back up the hole should not collapse.
Heat lamps are definitely a quick killer of surface level moisture. UTHs that fall below the line level of substrate will also dry out your sub. Its not an issue, and quite normal, for the surface to be drier than below. I only mist if it becomes powdery. Too much moisture in your sub can leave to bacteria blooms or drowned crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk