Where to find moss?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
winks56

Where to find moss?

Post by winks56 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:05 pm

I've been trying to find a good post on this but have been unsuccessful so far. Where do you guys find good moss for crabitats? And do you buy it in bulk and store the access, or just enough to use in the tank for a few days? How often do you change out the moss? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I haven't been able to find good information on this. Thanks!

hermitcrabdc

Re: Where to find moss?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 pm

I haven't bought any of my moss! I use mine from my yard. If you use it from the yard make sure nothing is sprayed on the lawn or nearby lawns. I get a mixture of different moss by doing this and I always boil it to kill any bugs. It also looks really green after I boil it.
I don't really replace mine I just add more. But it could use replacement after a few months. It gets to looking really nasty after a while but the crabs don't really care.
I don't buy online so I would just tell you to probably get some at a store if are looking to buy it.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

CrabbySquirrel

Post by CrabbySquirrel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:38 pm

I had a post about this a while ago -- there are some specific products listed there. Good luck!

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=100690

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:22 am

Hermit crabs tank are going to need tropical moss. Unless you live in the very south, with high humidity, most mosses taken from the yard will require a winter period, requiring it to be placed in the fridge for about 6 weeks. Also, when you take from the yard, there can be tons of bacteria, bugs, and parasites in it. I've never heard of boiling it, and am frankly surprised that it survived. I have collected from the yard, though. To do so, I would recommend first rinsing off the moss, soaking it in a 10% bleach solution (90% water) for five minutes, and then rinse it again before sticking it in the tank. Letting it grow indoors for a few days or weeks after bleaching it is even better.

I honestly think it is easy to order it online. neherpetoculture.com and joshsfrogs.com are good sites, but there are tons others as well.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:23 am

Lol, thought you were talking about LIVE moss. For good moss pit type moss, New Zealand AAA sphagnum moss is the best. Both sites listed above have it. :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:32 pm

I posted my favorites in the thread CrabbySquirrel posted. The forest moss comes in a dry brick like cocofiber can be found. I just break off bits to moisten for the tank and store what's left of the dried in a baggy. It goes a long way. The terrarium moss I linked comes loose in a box. It gets the job done but I definitely like the Forest Moss best! I change it out when it starts to look brown and not so fluffy anymore.