cleaning sticks / leaves

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
jasonmom

cleaning sticks / leaves

Post by jasonmom » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:19 am

My family is hoping to go out to our cabin for a few hours today time permitting (got to finish a Social Studies project first). Have had our crabs for a few months now and would like to add in some sticks / sticks with leaves. No need to worry about pesticides / chemicals used in this area. I know not to get pine. How do I treat the wood / leaves to ensure it's OK for my hermies?

:banana:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: cleaning sticks / leaves

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:05 am

As long as you don't mind possible hitchhikers, it can go straight in the tank. I've always done it that way!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:41 pm

I am so paranoid of infesting the tank with things I don't want to raise so I always put leaves and sticks in a ziplock bag in the freezer for 24hrs. Just in case.Don't forget to collect a few oak bark pcs. for the crabs,they love them.

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:10 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove chemicals/pesticides just in case there is some?
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:16 pm

I tried freezing before and when I put wood in my tank the critters came back to life and I bad one heck of a infestation! I get the leaves only and make sure they have no bugs and soak on salt water, rinse , dry and store in containers.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Laurie LeAnn wrote:I tried freezing before and when I put wood in my tank the critters came back to life and I bad one heck of a infestation! I get the leaves only and make sure they have no bugs and soak on salt water, rinse , dry and store in containers.
I've had the best results by doing the salt water soak and then baking the wood at low temperature (about 250) for an hour -- no survivors!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 pm

I did the salt soak , bake thing.. got bugs again..over it.. never again!

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:32 pm

Laurie,If you did all of that and still had bugs your problem lies elsewhere.
Really no need to soak leaves in salt water no need to even bake wood (which is dangerous!).Freeze in ziplock for a few days if that would be better for you.Been doing this long,long time.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:25 am

Pearl29mi wrote:Does anyone know if it's possible to remove chemicals/pesticides just in case there is some?
No, because the leaves are porous and it would have grown into the actual structure. :(

IBlab crab wrote:Laurie,If you did all of that and still had bugs your problem lies elsewhere.
Really no need to soak leaves in salt water no need to even bake wood (which is dangerous!).Freeze in ziplock for a few days if that would be better for you.Been doing this long,long time.
You may just be getting lucky or harvesting things that were never infected in the first place. If you live anywhere that experiences winter, freezing is not going to kill native species! The bugs and/or their eggs survive until spring, and so will the survive a normal freezer. Heat is the only way to guarantee something is completely sterilized, and baking wood is extremely common for anyone who build viviariums - if they have issues with bugs. There is nothing harmful to hermits that we can bring in unless you live where they are native in Florida in which case you could potentially bring in land hermit crab specific parasites that we don't really know much about.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 am

wodesorel wrote: No, because the leaves are porous and it would have grown into the actual structure. :(

You may just be getting lucky or harvesting things that were never infected in the first place. If you live anywhere that experiences winter, freezing is not going to kill native species! The bugs and/or their eggs survive until spring, and so will the survive a normal freezer. Heat is the only way to guarantee something is completely sterilized, and baking wood is extremely common for anyone who build viviariums - if they have issues with bugs. There is nothing harmful to hermits that we can bring in unless you live where they are native in Florida in which case you could potentially bring in land hermit crab specific parasites that we don't really know much about.
That is why I use beach sand only,no EE.Since 1976 and never an issue.Many bugs do not like sand like gnats.

Topic author
jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Definitely gets cold here. Froze the other night.
Think I'll try the salt water bath & heat. Could then freeze for good measure.