Tank for jumbo hermit crabs?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Tank for jumbo hermit crabs?

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:16 am

Soon I am going to be buying some jumbo hermit crabs, they are like the size of baseballs or bigger, and I have been looking for a tank for them. I was wondering if a 50-55 gallon would be big enough for 2 or 3 of them maybe. I currently own 9 small-medium hermit crabs. But I have always loved the huge hermit crabs. So want to make another tank for them. Thank so much!
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Life is not complete without a "few" critters!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Tank for jumbo hermit crabs?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:10 am

Because they have a 6 inch leg span, a 12 inch wide tank gets tight for them to maneuver around, especially after adding big water bowls and food bowls and climbing things. A 55 gallon is deep enough - 21 inches, so 12 for substrate and then space above for other things - but it ends up being too narrow, A 50 gallon is 18 inches wide and is a much better choice IF you can find one. 75 and 90 are more standard and will offer more room, and can be somewhat easier to find used if you're lucky.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Ok thanks. Yea Ive been looking at used tanks, had found a couple good deals on 50-55 gallon ones, so thats why I was wondering. I may look for a 75 gallon one or bigger if I can find a good deal on one. I have a reptile store here they sells hermit crabs, Im going to see if he can order some jumbo ones for me. If not, I may have to order online. Ive only seen once place that sells them online.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:29 pm

What's the place you're looking at online?

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Its called lllreptile. Ive seen them on this other website also, forgot the name of it though, but I have heard bad reviews on them.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:06 pm

I have had horrible luck with purchasing already jumbo crabs - figure by that point they are 25-50 years old and have never lived anywhere but in the wild. They do not make the transition to captivity well at all. I had two that hung on and shrunk every molt for two and a half years, and even they passed away this year. I'm 0-9 for bought jumbos. I refuse to buy them anymore, even though I feel sorry for them. It just encourages the stores to get more. (The last three were gifts from the local pet store - she found them at an expo and got them for me hoping to save them. Two died within a month and the other was one of the ones that hung on and looked worse every year.)

Crabs that start out extra-large and grow to jumbo size have much better survival rates. All of mine are still with me and are big and sassy and mating every spring.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:57 pm

My big crabs have each molted at least once and are getting bigger. I'm a bit freaked out by the possibility of them getting smaller on me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm not sure what to do now really. Was so excited to get some jumbos, but I don't want them to suffer and die soon after I get them. I may see if I can get some extra-large ones instead. I have some large ones now that are every now and then a little aggressive towards my small ones. So may just make a another tank for large- extra large crabs.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 pm

The good thing is the little guys can and will reach jumbo eventually; it just requires patience. ;) Also keep in mind the bigger the crab, the more expensive the shells. My largest crab at the moment is "just" a large and that's fine with me since he's a fatty who is trying to eat me out of house and home. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 pm

Hmm, I may just buy a 75 gallon tank or bigger and put either strawberry and blueberry hermit crabs, or either largers hermit crabs. Not sure yet. Because idk if I want to risk it buying jumbos now.

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:37 am

I hope you have bought a few jumbo size shells ahead of purchasing jumbos because I see alot of crabbers get them and then panic because they can not get shells their size.I started stocking up on different size jumbo shells when my bigger guys were border med./large. They also require more food,mine eat alot,I don't think people realize how much a jumbo eats.Good luck with them and post pics please.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:50 am

HermitCrabAddicted wrote:Hmm, I may just buy a 75 gallon tank or bigger and put either strawberry and blueberry hermit crabs, or either largers hermit crabs. Not sure yet. Because idk if I want to risk it buying jumbos now.
So... now is probably a bad time to tell you that unless you're in Canada, you won't find blues. They haven't been available in the USA for several years.

Or... that straws have a lifespan of roughly 2 to 3 years in captivity. Even the most skilled crabbers have difficulty keeping them past that.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Hmm, maybe my "blueberry" I thought I had is a viola then. I found it at a local animal store here mixed in with the other hermit crabs. Was so excited when I saw it.